Gun Cleaning ar 204 and others a TIP

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Gun Cleaning ar 204 and others a TIP

Post by Valar »

I was on Brownells web sit last night looking at various tech videos, One was properly cleaning the ar 15. They recomend there TCE degresser and cleaner. The cost is 24.99 a can for aersol. Al this stuff is Trichlorathane. So Is regular Brake Cleaner that I have used for several years now to clean guns. I get mine at mid west Farm and Fleet on sale for 1.50-1.99 a can! Or Napa has it as well. Be sure and use a bore guide to keep it off your stock finish etc. I slip a aluiminum pie tin under the bore to catch the drips. I also use a little brake cleaner on a rag to clean my brass cases before reloading. I hope this tip can save a few of you a couple bucks for your next gun. Happy Shooting!
chris_32212
.204 Ruger Guns: none currently

Re: Gun Cleaning ar 204 and others a TIP

Post by chris_32212 »

Good to know!!! thank you, keep those handy tips coming. :D
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Valar wrote:I was on Brownells web sit last night looking at various tech videos, One was properly cleaning the ar 15. They recomend there TCE degresser and cleaner. The cost is 24.99 a can for aersol. Al this stuff is Trichlorathane. So Is regular Brake Cleaner that I have used for several years now to clean guns. I get mine at mid west Farm and Fleet on sale for 1.50-1.99 a can! Or Napa has it as well. Be sure and use a bore guide to keep it off your stock finish etc. I slip a aluiminum pie tin under the bore to catch the drips. I also use a little brake cleaner on a rag to clean my brass cases before reloading. I hope this tip can save a few of you a couple bucks for your next gun. Happy Shooting!
How is it for removing Copper fouling?
Valar

Post by Valar »

Jim I use a good copper cleaning solvent in my factory barrel if shooting allot of jacketed bullets. In my Shilen stainless 204 barrel copper fouling hasnt been a issue. Saw some lite copper fouling during barrel break in but shoots clean since.
TXNinVA
.204 Ruger Guns: None...yet

Post by TXNinVA »

I've been using brake-kleen for years. Followed by some powder solvent and finally copper solvent.

Good to see I'm not alone.
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

Just be careful handling/breathing trichloroethane (methyl chloroform). It will not only degrease parts you might not want it to, it'll suck the natural oils right out of your skin, causing dermatitis,eczema, or worse; wear gloves. And, like any chlorinated hydrocarbon, don't breath too much of it, either :hic: Fortunately, this solvent is somewhat safer than the trichlorethylene it has pretty much replaced.
drumie
.204 Ruger Guns: tikka t3

Post by drumie »

Great tip guys, i will have to give that a try. For cleaning my AR the best thing that I have gotten is the JP bore guide for the AR. It is worth its weight in gold. http://www.jprifles.com/1.5.1.2_maint.php I also think midway and a few other places sell them as well.
Valar

Post by Valar »

Smart Man Drumie. I use bore guides for cleaning all my centerfire rifle. More dammage is done to rifles during cleaning than shooting.
chris_32212
.204 Ruger Guns: none currently

Post by chris_32212 »

Thought I would throw out an obvious word of caution... Don't get brake cleaner in your eye balls!! It hurts like a MOTHER F#$%ER. lol. I managed to do it twice in a 30 min period when I was cleaning something a few years ago. It hurt like heck the first time and the second time was murder. It was all I could do to stumble to the sink to flush it out (again). lol. :eek: Yeah, I know. I consider myself lucky to still be able to see clearly. :wall:
Valar

Post by Valar »

LOL Nitro solvent isnt any better! Thats why the cans say where Saftey Glasses! I just keep burnin them. I will never learn. Good Point Though!
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

A world champion shooter told me that he used an engine cleaner to clean out the carbon but they put in an additive that made it unusable. He said to use brake cleaner to remove carbon. I have not used it. I like Wipe Out, Montana Extreme 50 BMG, JB Bore Cleaner or if it just does not want to clean up, Blue Wonder. Thanks for the tip Valar.
Please, no Sidewinder today!