Blaser rifles

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Blaser rifles

Post by Mike »

Anyone have first-hand experience with Blaser rifles? From what I can gather reading about them online, Blasers seem to have a love-it-or-hate-it type of following. The unique design & ability of the R93 and R8 to easily change calibers caught my attention, but my interest is more a curiosity than anything else.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Re: Blaser rifles

Post by Wrangler John »

I can't answer your first question, but the following does answer why I can't.

Too pricey, and few advantages is why they aren't popular. Any Savage is a swap barrel rifle, and even a Remington bolt action is suitable for quick change barrels, and both can change calibers across cartridge sizes (especially single shot actions) without much if any modification. The Blaser system is pretty much limited to proprietary barrels, while the Savage and Remington can be fitted with any aftermarket barrel. Parts too are easily available for the domestic product. Accuracy is not superior to the domestic rifle, even those I screw together myself. The Blaser does have a neat gold colored trigger and bolt head though. Sometimes trying to reinvent the toilet seat becomes a PITA. :D
Mike

Post by Mike »

John, it is my understanding that Blasers are somewhat popular over in Europe. That popularity hasn't transcended the Atlantic Ocean and my initial reactions mirror many of your own. With that said, there's sometimes more to a rifle than what shows up on a stat sheet so I'm trying to keep a slightly open mind.
kenbrofox
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls 204

Post by kenbrofox »

Don't quote me on this, i think the trigger unit comes out with the magazine on some Blaser models. KB.
' Pay it forward buddy '
Mike

Post by Mike »

kenbrofox wrote:Don't quote me on this, i think the trigger unit comes out with the magazine on some Blaser models. KB.
:mrgreen:

You are correct about the trigger unit.
drumie
.204 Ruger Guns: tikka t3

Post by drumie »

I am new to this site and to 204, but I have had a Blaser LRS-2 in 22-250 for over 4 years now. I must be one of the "love em" guys. This rifle is a tack driver. It is the most accurate rifle that I own, and I have 2 guns built buy G.A. Precision, and another custom buy a great gun builder. It just puts the bullets where I am every time. The gun comes with a great trigger. The action is a straight pull back action, a little different, but very fast to work. The stock is a love it hate it design, but i love it. It fits me great, and the adjustability on it is endless. The barrel swap is a snap, but the new barrels are pretty expensive for it. The negitives on this rifle are, the price. You can buy a custom for the same price as this gun. The magazines are expensive, around $200 each. But they do work flawlessly. I have never had a feeding issure. And also the mounts are kinda expensive, and limited. I had to do some work to the factory mount to get my US Optics scope to fit on it. But i do love this gun. I know everytime I get it out it is going to hit what I want it to.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Welcome aboard, Drumie. I appreciate your insights about the LSR-2 and they seem to mirror a lot of others I have read.

You have a fine collection of shooting sticks. What kind of .204 do you shoot?
drumie

Post by drumie »

Mike,
I actually just bought a TIkka T3 lite in 204. Just waiting for it to show up. That will be my first gun in 204. I got 2 other T3 lites, one in 223 and one in 243 and love them. Now the fun part...... Waiting for it to show up. LOL
Big_Bullseye
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1 Varmint Stainless - Custom Noveske AR15 .204

Post by Big_Bullseye »

Sorry for the OT but drumie those T3 lites are nice little guns aren't they. I have a T3 lite stainless in 25-06 and it shoots very well, wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
Doveryai no Proveryai
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Another OT in regard to the Tikka T3's: A game and varmint outfitter & guide I know here on the high desert tried a T3 in 270 Win. He liked it so much, he now has an entire gun collection of T3's in every caliber (I believe) they chamber it for. It does have one of the smoothest cycling bolts I've ever tried.....very nice indeed. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

drumie

Post by drumie »

Any new hunting gun that I will buy will be a Tikka T3. You can't beat them for the price and what you get for them. And yes they do have one of the smoothest bolts I have felt.
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

I have two T3 lites and they are one of my favorites. Both are "tack drivers". One is a grey laminate stainless in 204 and the other one is a synthetic camo, stainless in 243.
Savage Vaporizer