Superperformance powder

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Superperformance powder

Post by ryutzy »

Monday my order of Superperformance powder is supposed to arrive. I can't wait to see what kind of velocity/accuracy I can get out of my .243 with a 75gr V-max. Unfortunately with the nasty weather I will have to wait till spring to do a lot of testing with it, but I do plan on trying out a few loads with it. Has anyone had the opportunity to load with this powder yet?
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Re: Superperformance powder

Post by Gube »

Cool. I did not know it was available to the public. Keep us posted.
Savage Vaporizer
mcseal2
.204 Ruger Guns: building one

Post by mcseal2 »

I saw it on their website and want to try it, but haven't yet.
Clover_Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR100

Post by Clover_Shooter »

I have a copy of the new Hornady® Handbook of Cartridge Reloading 8th Edition and it states that it's supposed to have loads for the Superperformance powder that include the 22-250 REMINGTON, 243 WINCHESTER, 243 WINCHESTER SUPER SHORT MAGNUM, 6mm REMINGTON, 25 WINCHESTER SUPER SHORT MAGNUM and the 300 WINCHESTER SHORT MAGNUM.
(I assumed that it would contain other loads).

My book only has loads listed for the 22-250 REMINGTON! :?

However some loads are listed online at the Hodgdon website in Reloading Data Center here http://www.hodgdon.com/basic-manual-inquiry.htmland http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/SuperLever.pdf
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

Anxious for some reports. Getting ready to rebarrel a mauser 98 in 257 roberts. I would think superformance would be a decent choice in this cartrage as well
ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

I also bought Hornadys New Book and was upset that so little information was in it for SuperPerformance. From the advertised info that I had seen earlier about the info that is has on this powder I was led to believe that it would be useful. False advertising and I do believe I will be calling Hornady about this. Hodgdon does have limited info on it and so far I went by that and then guesstimated based on bullet weight from there. So far it's worked well, but I have not shot many test rounds yet. Once the weather warms I will be shooting it a lot.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

ryutzy wrote:I also bought Hornadys New Book and was upset that so little information was in it for SuperPerformance. From the advertised info that I had seen earlier about the info that is has on this powder I was led to believe that it would be useful. False advertising and I do believe I will be calling Hornady about this. Hodgdon does have limited info on it and so far I went by that and then guesstimated based on bullet weight from there. So far it's worked well, but I have not shot many test rounds yet. Once the weather warms I will be shooting it a lot.
I may not agree that it is false advertising, but I do agree, that I also, was dissapointed that they show so very few load date with this new released powder. I was looking forward to using it, but from what I see in the new manual. I will stick with some of my old
standbys. Bill K :)
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

The new Hornady Reloading book was a waste of money IMHO. I only shoot .17 Remington, .17 Tactical, .204 Ruger, .22-250 and .243 Winchester and there sure wasn't much new in there for my rifles.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
mcseal2

Post by mcseal2 »

Got a pound yesterday, but my chronograph doesn't want to work today so I don't have any results yet. There is a little load data for this powder on Hodgdon's website. I will try it in a 22" 243.
mcseal2

Post by mcseal2 »

ryutzy wrote:Monday my order of Superperformance powder is supposed to arrive. I can't wait to see what kind of velocity/accuracy I can get out of my .243 with a 75gr V-max. Unfortunately with the nasty weather I will have to wait till spring to do a lot of testing with it, but I do plan on trying out a few loads with it. Has anyone had the opportunity to load with this powder yet?
That is the same bullet and caliber I will be loading. If you get any results please post them, and I will do the same.
ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

mcseal2 I haven't been able to shoot much yet, but I did shoot two loadings. 49.6 gr with the 75gr vmax gave me 3560fps and .75 groups was the best so far, but I have only shot a few times. This was seated into the lands. I want to shoot more and try more loads. I also need to change out scopes as my reticle it too thick and it covers up my little bullseyes and I feel that it hinders my groups.
ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

Alright folks here's my results for Superperformance in the .243 Win. I was quite shocked by the results in terms of velocity.

The gun I'm shooting is a completely stock Ruger M77/II in 243Win.....no bedding no trigger work...nothing. I'm also using a Leopold 3X9X50 heavy duplex scope which greatly hinders my ability to shoot small groups as the reticle completely covers up the bullseye. This is what my dad put together years ago and it's what I've got, but this is one of my favorite coyote guns and it's killed a mighty lot of them.

I was blown away by the velocities that my chrono says that I'm getting. I'm shooting the 75 grain Vmax (seated deeply into the lands) pushed by 50 grains of Superperformance. I got 3755 fps from this load! I thought that kind of velocity was only for AI chamberings. I did not see any overpressure signs either. See pic below of my first group shot with this load. I had one flyer/pull in this 5 shot group.

Here is my current load used in this gun. Note: this is a fireform group with new brass. This resulted in 3560 fps with 46.4 of H414.

Here is the gun cooling off.

These loads are stout loads. If you want to try them, please start lower and work your way up to them!
ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

As you may note by my previous posts that 49.6 of Superperformance gave me 3560 fps. My new load of 50 grains produced 3755 fps. I believe the huge jump in velocity is because my new load is seated deeper into the lands instead of just touching them. (My theory anyway) It was also 88 degrees today and when I tested my previous loads it was cold out. I thought I would clarify that.
Fred_C_Dobbs
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varminter Low Profile

Post by Fred_C_Dobbs »

ryutzy, that's about 200 fps more than I get out of a 70-gr SMK in my .243 WSSM with RL-19.

Warm indeed!
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Thats real good. Of course, if the Superformance powder id like the Hornady Lit Mag in my 30.06, the recoil and blast does come along with the increased performance. I may have missed it but what distance did you try these out at, 100, 200 yds? If at 100 push it back to 200 and see how she works out. Roger that one the scope. Even for load testing (for me) the minimum would by about 14x.

Good shootin' none the less.