New Guy, new gun

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
oldguy
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Center Icon

New Guy, new gun

Post by oldguy »

Many years of shooting under my belt nearly 60 years at this point, rifle, pistol and shotgun,hunting in early years but mostly target punching now, central Texas lacks in terms of the type of hunting I enjoyed in my youth.

Just acquired a new Thompson Center Icon precision Hunter, mostly in the past I've purchased savage and Remington but liked the looks and feel of the new T/C, quality wise overall the fit and finish is better then my Savage rifles while the Savage are super accurate there are some minor issues with fit.

A target came with the new T/C showing a 3/8 inch group 100 yards (3 round) my first range trip today and after sighting in shot a 3/8inch group with Hornady 32gr vmax. I only loaded 9 rounds today of 35 gr Berger bullet but 3 round groups were under .500, this will improve as I experiment but out of the box with factory ammo the most accurate rifle I've owned other then an old Remington 788 in 223.

The trigger is excellent it was set at the lowest setting from factory very light but transition from the accu-trigger will take a few range trips. Overall very pleased with the TC, heavy gun around 10lbs with scope but from a bench ideal.. :D
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: New Guy, new gun

Post by Hotshot »

Welcome oldguy!

Sounds like that T/C will serve you well. Off to a nice start with those good groups.
Is that a1:12 twist barrel?
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Welcome to the Forum oldguy!! Good to have you here. Sounds like she's gonna be a shooter for ya!! Congratulations!!
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Welcome to the forum.Keep us informed of your load development.Lots of 204 loaders here.
oldguy
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Center Icon

Post by oldguy »

Thanks for the warm welcome. The T/C has a 1/10 twist 22inch 5R rifling. the 1/10 should handle the 40gr berger bullets I have, the 22 inch is a little short in my opinion however at the distance I shoot won't make a difference other then little more noise. The 5R rifling seems to get good reviews but not sure it produces better results then standard.