Tackling Scope Cant

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Re: Tackling Scope Cant

Post by Lenard »

I'm with Rick on the level on the scope. I sometimes shoot chucks over the hood of my Jeep and it is extremely difficult to tell if the crosshairs are plumb, without a level on the rifle. Sometimes on the portable bench, when changing angles I run into the same thing. Nowdays, what I do is attach my bipod to the gun and level it before I start shooting. It is a constant process when shooting of the hood, just to remain level. What I have noticed, at 200 yard and further, that those slam dunk shots are made. Previously, sometimes being in a bad position, those were misses to me. I have them on my 20TAC, 204 and 243. I would not be without the levels.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Hedge wrote:Rick, I'm looking for a good anti-cant device and like the looks of the one you posted. Looks like it won't hook on anything unlike the ones that hang off the side. Can you see it easily while sighting and what do you do about the scope cover? What brand is it?
Hedge: That's the inline scope level offered by Sinclair. It easily clears the Cooper bolt (or any other) and is easy to see from the shooting position without taking your eye from the scope. They also offer an offset unit that I use on some dedicated bench guns.

The scope covers I'm using are the Leupold Alumina covers that fold flat against the scope body so they do not hinder the view of the target or the level.

This shows the objective cover....the ocular cover folds the same way:

These covers are also o-ring sealed against dust and moisture, along with having rare earth magnets to hold them closed tightly but pop open easily when wanted. A bit on the spendy side being all finely machined and anodized, but very good stuff. :D

Here's the ocular cover in the closed position:

As Lenard mentioned above, sometimes when the action is hot we tend to get off-level without noticing it weather off the bench or bipod. When it happens it usually results in unexpected misses and the varmint walks. Many times I've thought "I'm level with the world" only to glance up at my level to find out only my imagination was level.... ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Post by Hedge »

Thanks, Rick.

I just ordered one from Brownell's. Wish I could use the Leupold caps but they don't fit any scopes but theirs. (nice looking system you have there BTW) :yeah:

Know what you mean about not sensing cant. Until I get that scope level, the way I've been checking it is by my target frame. I leveled it and use that as a guide.

I see we're both ex-Navy. AMS2 VAQ-135 CVA42 :)
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
Hedge

Post by Hedge »

My anti-cant device arrived today and I've got it installed. (what the heck were they thinking....screw heads on the bottom!)
Other than that it's pretty sweet. The engineer in me sees a couple of things I might redesign into it after playing with it.
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Hedge --
(what the heck were they thinking....screw heads on the bottom!)
I have asked myself that same question every time I have installed one of those anti-cant levels on one of my rifles. Pardon my French, but that design is just BACKA$$WARDS!!! However, I wouldn't want to go varmint hunting without my anti-cant levels aon my varmint rifles.

One thing I found that really helps out when trying to tighten the screws that are on the bottom of the levels are the Allen wrenches with the ball ends so you don't have to have the Allen wrench 100% vertical to the screw socket.

Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Hedge

Post by Hedge »

Good idea, Silverfox. I'll look for a set next time I make a run to town.

I can already tell the difference when using the level. What I thought was, wasn't. :D
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
danielbrothers
.204 Ruger Guns: savage

Post by danielbrothers »

I like this one...

Forgive My Sins... Jesus... Save My Soul