Zeroing in?

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Zeroing in?

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Ramos: IF, and it's a big IF.......there's a downside to a 204R 11-twist, I haven't found out what it is yet. I only tested 32's on two occasions just to see how it would perform, and they shot just like the 39/40's did.

Like I mentioned earlier, the manufacturers blew it with making 1/12 the standard twist rate for the 204R, thinking all "we" wanted was pure speed. Now it appears most want to shoot the heavier BC bullets, and the 12 twist is marginal for some of the 40's as we now know.

My Cooper 20VT is box factory stock, and wears its original 12 twist barrel. That particular rifle only sees 32 grainers. (This fall it will get either a Jard or Cooper BR trigger once they're available.)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Thanks for the info Rick. Like most, my 204 gets along fine w/ the 39 SBK's and I have had good luck with them on coyotes. Mostly I shoot gray diggers, rock chucks, porkupine, and crows with the 204. For that, the 32 V-Max has been ideal. As much as I love the 204, I sure spend a lot of time day dreaming about adding a 20VT to the arsenal. Problem is, with the current administration that is in office at my house, the Defense Budget has to be funded through the back door! I guess I need to sharpen my lobbying skills...
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I'm still chuckling....... :lol:

At the ranch here, it's the "Minister of Finance". And after almost 30 years of having that position, working where she does 'n all, she just gives me "the look" and rolls her eyes when she finds out I "need" another rifle. Being around this stuff all day at work really has "conditioned" her, in that now she really understands "how guys are when it comes to guns". It's become more of a real "need" (to us), rather than the logical "want" that it really is.

Really though, and to your point.....if you like the 204 Ruger, you're gonna love the 20 Vartarg, I promise. It uses the same bullets, same primers, same powder in some cases, has all the good features of the 204R, but with even less recoil, blast, barrel lheat, and less powder to get it done, and get it done with stellar accuracy to boot. What's not to like? Well, forming cases come to mind...... :chin: But hey, it's all a labor of love, right?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

I'm lucky to have her. After all, she has given me two amazing boys. She just sometimes forgets that she has three kids instead of two and we all NEED new toys from time to time.
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Post by Lenard »

When you start discussing sighting in and twist, I use a PacNor barrel on a Mini Mauser chambered in 20 TAC. It has a 1-10 twist and shoots equally as well with both the 32 and 40 gr. Vmax bullets. I can run the 40's at 3750 fps without straining. Use Benchmark powder and sight in dead on at 100 yards.