TC-.204

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Brad
.204 Ruger Guns: TC encore/por hunter

TC-.204

Post by Brad »

Hi all, im struggling a bit with my new TC-encore/prohunter. Out of the boxes, had to have it built. was hard to get it in a 28" barrel. Same old story, the guy behind the counter says they dont make that length barrel.. As im pointing at it behind me on their rack. Neway back to my problem. First of all i put a Leupold vx-3 8.5x25x50 on it, hopping to get a bigger target. So far ive ran about 100 rounds through it. Mostly 40gr vmax. Im working at 100 yards to start with. And i cant get a better group than 2". The 34gr winchester jhps wernt any better. I lightend the trigger. And am building a shooting bench. I also use a bipod. Im not sure if the problem is me or what. I shoot tighter groups with my old 22. Im hopping the lighter trigger and new shooting platform will help..
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Re: TC-.204

Post by Joe O »

I would call Bullberry and ask a tech about a barrel hanger and bedding.My TC G2 contender shot in the 1/2" range without much tuning.
204r.

http://www.bullberry.com/cbarrels.html
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

As mentioned call bullberry, if that is the maker of the barrel, or if it could be by Bergara (they make a 28 inch barrel) and see what they can do to help. If your action is tight (good headspace, etc and lockup, barrel floating(it can be done with TC's) your should be able to shoot better groups than that. Another source of good info on TC's is Mike Bellm.com. My TC contender in 204, with 23inch full contour barrel will shoot, 1 inch or less, all day at 100yds. Bill K :)
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

1st off if that is a 12" twist barrel then you may never get the 40gr V-Max to group well. Some like em. Some don't. The rest will tolerate them. The 39gr BK's & 04gr Bergers are better options in the heavier bullets. The 34gr Winchesters in my 204 were all over the place at 100yds as well. I don't recall anybody getting good groups with those in the Win factory loads either. I could be mistaken tho.

Are you using all factory loads?
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Shamu25
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint in .204

Post by Shamu25 »

I believe that Glen is right on. My CZ is 1:12 and scatters both of these loads. Went to 39gr BK's and 35gr Bergers and even 32gr BK's and they do 1/2". Try the 32 gr Hornandy if you are shooting factory loads.....you will likely find a bid difference between these and the 40 gr. Have fun
Kingcrawler
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Encore prohunter

Post by Kingcrawler »

You need to go over to mike bellms site for sure and do some reading. He is the go to guy for encore problems. He explains very clearly how to measure your barrel to frame gap and your headspace. I was having some accuracy issues aw well with my 204 barrel over exccesive headspace.
Brad
.204 Ruger Guns: TC encore/por hunter

Post by Brad »

Thank you fore the input. I will hit the net and get more info. Im doing all factory loads at this time. I do have all the reloading equipmet, I just need to figure out what powder and bullets ect. to start with...And yes the barrel is 12" twist. The 34 gr winchester jhps dont do well eather. I will try some 32 gr hornadays.