BUYING A 204 RUGER

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
22 HORNET
.204 Ruger Guns: none

BUYING A 204 RUGER

Post by 22 HORNET »

if you were going to buy a ruger 204 would you buy a bull barrel or regular barrel and why. HORNET
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: BUYING A 204 RUGER

Post by Bill K »

I prefer the bull barrel, even for a walk about, but then I do not mind carrying a little extra weight. I just feel the bull barrel will over the best accuracy, due, mostly to the fact the barrel is more rigid and vibrates less. Bill K
sharptailhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by sharptailhunter »

I suppose it depends more on what your shooting plans are for the rifle. If you just wanna punch paper from a bench, go bull. If you wanna hike around the sage brush and lava flows, a better option might be a lighter contour. Personally, I have a varmint contour and it's not light at all but I don't mind packing it around. That being said, my next purchase for a .204 will either be a Cooper or Sako with a sporter type contour. Of course, there is that Winchester low wall that would suit my fancy just fine.
TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

I wouldn't want to try to shoot off hand with a bull barrel more than once or twice on a whim.

Bench or rest= bull

Walk and off hand= sporter
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in .204 with Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in 22-250 with Swaro Z5 5-25x52 BRX and turret
Sako Stainless Synth in .260 with Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BRX
Ruger MKIII 678GC with Ultradot Matchdot
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

Why not get an "in betweener" like the Savage Model 25?
K = ½mv2
tractorman
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington SPS SF

Post by tractorman »

I would say first off which bullet are you going to shoot. If you are wanting the heavier bullets a 1-10 works better. Lighter bullets are good for the 1-12. I found the T/C venture predator, it has a sporter barrel that is fluted and has a 1-10 twist and it likes the 40 gr vmaxes. Also have heavy barrel rem. Have carried both, the lighter gun is much easier to pack around. But I still like the bull barrels and I feel they are more accurate.
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

Noise/muzzle blast could be a factor, too. To my (protected) ears, my .204 Rem. LVSF with 22" fluted barrel is significantly louder than my Cooper with a heavier, 26" one. Most of the time I would rather lug the extra weight around. Also, if you do much rapid shooting, the light barrels will heat up and start stringing shots sooner.
sakofan
.204 Ruger Guns: remington varmit sf

Post by sakofan »

I like the heavy barrels myself but if I was undecided like you seem to be I would get something like a ruger predator or cz varmint.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

My preference is for the bull barrels. I have no problem doing my walk-about type prairie dog shooting and my coyote calling forays carrying my heavy barreled rifles. I just feel more confident in the accuracy I'll get with this type of a barrel on my rifles. You can always have the barrel fluted to help them shed a half pound or more of weight or go with a 22" barrel instead of a 26" to cut down on the wieght a bit.

Keep in mind that I do not take many off-hand shots, but when I have to take one, I can hold the rifle steady for a quick shot, but I start wiggling a whole bunch if I have to hold the rifle up for any length of time :eek:
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I have a bull barrel for shooting off a pivot bench. It was getting heavy when going coyote hunting and got a lighter weight 204. They will both have the same accuracy. I like the heavier rifles for long range shooting. If you are going to shoot high volume then get a bull barrel as they do not get hot as quickly.
Please, no Sidewinder today!