New T/C Venture .204...what's wrong with it?

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
jdohio
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Venture Predator

New T/C Venture .204...what's wrong with it?

Post by jdohio »

**6/15/2012**update below. Smith and Wesson replaced my gun.

I recently purchased my first .204...a Thompson Center Venture Predator. I looked all over for one locally and came across one on sale. $499 with the T/C 3-9x scope. I read quite a few good reviews from this site, like this one: http://www.204ruger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9532

Unfortunately when I took it to the range to sight it in, things didn't go well. The main issues are that 1) it jams as I feed a round into the chamber (bolt jams when its 3/4 of the way closed, and 2) after the shot, the bolt is jammed closed. I got around #1 by helping center the round with my finger before closing the bolt. As for #2, I had to use all my strength to get the bolt back open. I repeated the process 8 times and then gave up. The cases get scratched up after firing.

I talked to a guy at the range and he thought it was due to "excessive headspace". What do you think?

At any rate, its on its way back to T/C now. It is my first time dealing with their customer service, which is actually S&W.

Last edited by jdohio on Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: New T/C Venture .204...what's wrong with it?

Post by Bill K »

It could be some tool damage in the chamber wall. I do not believe it is headspace, as that should show at the base, not up the side as your photos show. Will be interesting to see what TC finds. Keep us posted. Are these factory cases or reloads ? Bill K
Ol` Joe
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by Ol` Joe »

Sure looks like a burred area in the chamber to me.
jdohio

Post by jdohio »

They are factory hornady v-max.
It only happens after I fire though. I can load a round, not fire, then eject it just fine.

It should arrive at T/C tomorrow. I have no idea how long their turnaround is but I'm planning on sending an email to follow up on it. What was strange about their return policy is that you don't contact them ahead of time for a RMA. You just ship the gun with a description of the problem.
jdohio

Post by jdohio »

In case anyone is reading this while considering purchasing a T/C firearm, consider the following:

T/C's website instructs you to ship back the gun at your cost.
Return Shipments can be shipped via UPS, FedEx or mail at your cost. Repaired product will be shipped back to you via FedEx requiring an adult signature upon receipt.
Apparently that information is incorrect as there is now a "Warranty Shipping Repair Form" on S&W's website you can use to print a prepaid shipping label.

Also incorrect is their email address.

It doesn't work. Your email will get returned saying the address couldn't be found.

Boy I sure hope this gun is worth all the hassle.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Yeah you have some nasty burrs in the chamber would be my quess also.
Don't let this get you down. While I've never owned one I give full credit to TC for being the first to produce a factory rifle in the correct twist.
If I were ever in the market to buy an entire factory rifle in 204R my allegiance to Savage might just be broken and I'd jump on the correct barrel.
If your a reloader try the 40's first.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
sniper74
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 T/C Venture Predator

Post by sniper74 »

I own the same gun and I have had no problems. I would say there is some bur in the chamber as well. I had to send my gun in and I thought the service was awesome. I agree that they are making a correct barrel. I also like the r5 rifling, stabilizes bullet and easier to clean barrel as well. I have to say the gun is worth it and it just might need some working in. There is something wrong with chamber I would think. Keep us posted! Keep the faith it is worth it.
jdohio

Post by jdohio »

Why did you have to send your gun in?

I haven't posted an update yet because the issue isn't resolved, but here's where it stands:
2 weeks after S&W received my gun, they called to tell me they are going to replace it with a new one. I gave them a local store's info so they can handle the FFL stuff. I don't know yet how much longer it will be until they ship the replacement.
Customer service has been good so far. They told me they'll refund the shipping cost since the website wasn't updated. I am still waiting for the check.
sniper74
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 T/C Venture Predator

Post by sniper74 »

I had to send it in for the Venture recall. It was inconvenience but it was fairly painless and quick. Very good people working customer service. Hopefully things go well. They are a great rifle, you wont be disappointed.
hlesley

Post by hlesley »

I had the same problem. My local gunsmith looked at it with a bore scope and said there was a burr or chip in the chamber. I emailed TC with pictures of the cases. They said send it in. They checked it and sent me a new rifle. Just wish I had kept the magazine from the bad one.

Herman
jdohio

Post by jdohio »

Very interesting. I hope the replacement doesn't have the same issue.

I can't believe they don't test fire these at the factory. Just 1 $0.50 bullet would save them from this mess. I bought the gun right as groundhog season started so now I'm without it for the peak time. What a bummer.
jdohio

Post by jdohio »

Got the replacement today. Hopefully I will make it to the range this weekend to sight it in. I have 32gr Hornaday, 40gr Hornaday, and 39gr Federal to try out.

Gun was delivered to S&W on 5/23
I was contacted and told they are replacing the gun on 6/7
Replacement received on 6/14

Overall I'm satisfied with S&W customer service. I just wish the gun wasn't a lemon to begin with.