Barrel Cleaning

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Barrel Cleaning

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

I have recently been testing a few different barrel cleaning products and wanted to share the results with everyone. In the past i have always used ammonia based bore cleaners and felt that they always worked well. The only real drawback i found was the smell and the fact that you need to watch closely on how long you leave the products in the barrel. A few months ago I made a call to the fine people at Sharp Shoot-R Precision. We were interested in carrying a few of their products for sale on our website. After speaking with the owner of Sharp Shoot-R for an hour or so I placed an order and agreed to start selling their products on our website. During that conversation the owner challenged me to test out some of their Wipe Out Patch Out bore cleaner. He said "put some of this in a barrel that you believe is very clean and i gurantee you will find that this product removes more fouling then you will believe." I agreed to his challenge and as soon as the products showed up I put them to the test. I pride myself on maintaining my rifles in tip top condition and always keep the barrels as clean as possible. I applied some of the wipe out patch out and let the rifle set overnight at the request of Sharp Shoot-R. The next day i ran a patch thru the barrel that i thought was perfectly clean. To my amazement i found: copper fouling and carbon fouling in large amounts on the first patch. I ran some additional patches thru and they yielded even more fouling. Again at the instruction of Sharp Shoot-R i applied more of the cleaner and let it set for about 4 hours before running another patch thru. Upon running the next patch thru i could see that the fouling was greatly reduced. I ran a few more patches thru and they started coming out clean. I tried this on a few more of my rifles and each one yielded the same results. A couple weeks go by and I get back out to the range to fire my rifles, i was absolutely amazed at how much better they performed. I now use the Wipe Out Patch Out for all my barrel cleaning, once I started using it on a regular basis instead of the ammonia based cleaners it was much easier to get my barrels clean and keep them that way with a minimal amount of work. Now when i return from the range i apply the Wipe Out Patch Out and let the barrel set overnight with the cleaner in it. I come back to it the next day and push 4-5 patches thru it and its clean. You can't ask for much more than that. If anyone hasn't tried the Wipe Out Patch Out cleaner yet give it a try. As a matter of fact i will gurantee that if you purchase it from us you will be happy with it or we will allow you to return it for a full refund. :D
Below is a link to the product on our website, feel free to read up on it if you are interested. Take the challenge, there is absolutely no risk.
http://www.customreloadingtools.com/crt_075.htm

Thanks,
Brad
Custom Reloading Tools LLC
jo191145

Re: Barrel Cleaning

Post by jo191145 »

Ahh Yup, been using wipe out then Patch Out for at least five years. Would'nt think of using them high content ammonia concoctions anymore.
Have em send you some of thier Royal case lube wax. Just recently got a tub of that stuff and I'll probably never buy another Imperial Wax again.
Stuff smells so good I can FL size in bed but the little lady keeps snugglin up against me. Two dabs behind the ears and you'll be late for work in the morning ;) :D Awesome good stuff

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

+1 on the Wipe Out. I spray it in and let it sit overnight. Wipe in the AM then another dose while at work usually does the trick. Just use until the blue patches end. No smell.
K = ½mv2
Ol` Joe
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100

Post by Ol` Joe »

Bodei wrote:+1 on the Wipe Out. I spray it in and let it sit overnight. Wipe in the AM then another dose while at work usually does the trick. Just use until the blue patches end. No smell.
+2
32dgrz
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage

Post by 32dgrz »

+3
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Post by Hedge »

Brad -

I checked out their web site and found another cleaner called Tactical Advantage. I suspect it's just a more potent mix. The problem is that, according to their info, it will attack molybdenum. Many of us have chrom-moly barrels. Any clarification on this?
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
K22

Post by K22 »

+4
wirelessguy2005

I am happy to clarify. I think there may be a slight misunderstanding of the terms that they used to describe the product. I have copied the quote from the manufacturers website: "TACTICAL ADVANTAGE"™ is safe for all barrel steels,including chrome lined bores and both stainless and carbon steel. Note: "TACTICAL ADVANTAGE"™ will remove Molybdenum.

As noted above they state that it is safe for all barrel steels including chrome lined and carbon steel. When they say "it will remove molybendum" they are referring to the moly that you coat bullets with. I am sure that it will be perfectly safe for your barrel. We don't currently keep this product in stock, however i have access to it and would be happy to stock it if anyone is interested in buying some.

Brad

Hedge wrote:Brad -

I checked out their web site and found another cleaner called Tactical Advantage. I suspect it's just a more potent mix. The problem is that, according to their info, it will attack molybdenum. Many of us have chrom-moly barrels. Any clarification on this?
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Post by Hedge »

Thanks, Brad.
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
ddwaite
.204 Ruger Guns: none1

Post by ddwaite »

Question. I too am using wipe out/patch out and accelerator at the recommendation of the folks at 'crt' and have had excellent results.
However, I am concerned that instructions say do not use with any other chemicals. Also says no oiling of barrel necessary. Don't think I ever left a weapon un oiled. Maybe you could shed some light on this for me Brad. Would appreciate it. thanks.
wirelessguy2005

To my knowledge the only reason they say not to use it with other chemicals is a cya for them. They don't want someone to mix something that could possibly be dangerous. As far as the recommendation of not oiling after using their cleaner is simply because they have anti corrosive additive already in the cleaner. However it won't hurt anything if you do prefer to oil the barrels after you are done cleaning. As a matter of fact Sharp Shoot-R also makes a great gun oil that they label as MAX MilSpec lubricant, we keep it in stock. :)
ddwaite wrote:Question. I too am using wipe out/patch out and accelerator at the recommendation of the folks at 'crt' and have had excellent results.
However, I am concerned that instructions say do not use with any other chemicals. Also says no oiling of barrel necessary. Don't think I ever left a weapon un oiled. Maybe you could shed some light on this for me Brad. Would appreciate it. thanks.