What is your go to shot gun?

Talk about hunting birds.
ScottB
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: What is your go to shot gun?

Post by ScottB »

My go-to gun is very unique. It is an E. Harrison (predecessor company that joined Cogswell to become Cogswell & Harrison, for those of you that know English guns), 12 bore, round action, assisted opening, boxlock ejector. That's right. Round action, assisted opening, boxlock. There are some out there, but rare, and usually quite expensive. I got mine for a song. ;)

I'll post pics when I get a chance.
"I was brought up to believe that Scotch whisky would need a tax preference to survive in competition with Kentucky bourbon."

Justice Hugo Black
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

My passion is duck hunting. I have been known to shoot dove, turkey, quite a few skeet, and just about anything that flies. Including squirrels. My go to shotgun is both a Browning Cynergy Mossy Oak Shadow Grass and her sister the Sporting Composite w/ Adjustable Comb.

These teal were taken very close to home. My son and I love to hunt the Laguna Madre also. Red Heads, Pintails, Mergansers, Buffel Head,and Widgeon dominate the open waters while Teal, Spoonies, Black Malards and Gadwall prevail in tidal pools and ponds.

Every once and a while this baby gets called out into the skeet/trap fields. Especially when there is a competition! She is a Caesar Guerini Ellipse EVOlution in 12 ga.

The engraving is phenomenal and she swings like no other.

Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
dan97526
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper M21, Cooper 38 20VT, CZ 17H

Post by dan97526 »

Benelli Nova.

I've always considered shotguns a pretty utilitarian tool, although I love Parkers. I'm really liking skipper's Browning Cynergy Mossy Oak Shadow Grass. One of those may have to find it's way into the boat this fall.
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Post by TEXAS222 »

Benelli Black Eagle for hunting birds. Perazzi for live pigeons or competition.
carlrh2001
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by carlrh2001 »

Depends: for Grouse and Woodcock, Parker 20ga Vh. Pheasant Parker12ga Ghe. Ducks, Benelli 12ga Go to Quail gun has been an old Winchester Mdl59. Go figure.
Cooper mdl57 22lr mdl38 22Hornet mdl21 223Rem
Earl Three Beavers
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527

Post by Earl Three Beavers »

For doves, crows, and squirrel: Fox Model B-ST SXS 12 ga with choke tubes.

Duck, geese, turkey, 'yotes: Rem 870 3" 12 ga, ported turkey choke.

Skeet, bunnies, grouse: CZ-Huglu O/U 28 ga. The 28 ga has become my favourite shotgun. :D
Lord, help me to be the man my dog thinks I am.
Highcountry
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger m77 v/t

Post by Highcountry »

Remington 1100 in 12 ga........since '76.
erich

Post by erich »

I've shot a lot of shotguns over the years, mostly sxs but I did dabble in a couple semi-autos(not my cup of tea). I have one pump left for a dedicated coyote rig.

My favorite waterfowl shotgun is a old Huqvarna Hammer double, I have a pair of them. My upland shotgun is a svelte little Bernardelli sxs 12ga at 5 lb 15 oz.

Husqvarna

Bernardelli
After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Very nice. Thanks for sharing that and the photo's. Bill K :)

I also have had numerous shotguns, over the years, but now only keep taking out the Old Rem 31, with some trick features. Love the pumps also or a good double. This old gal, has taken untold numbers of pheasants, chukar, quail, dove, ducks, clays and back in the days when you could go to shoots and shoot live pigeons, it always came through.
102_7081.JPG
102_7081.JPG (1.33 MiB) Viewed 8720 times
102_7080.JPG
102_7080.JPG (1.1 MiB) Viewed 8720 times
102_7079.JPG
102_7079.JPG (1.11 MiB) Viewed 8720 times
erich

Post by erich »

Those old 31's are built like they have ball-bearings in them. My X-FinL had a pair of them a 12ga 26" skeet gun and a 30'' 12ga trap gun. The skeet gun was his birdgun waterfowl and upland. One season he killed 23 ducks with a box of shells, said he should have done better but had to swat two cripples. Once we were jumpshooting ducks and we flushed a nice flock of mallards, I've never seen anyone pick out and kill ducks so fast, he had three drakes on the water just as I fired my first shot and that was three ducks with three shell, none of them were a scotch double. He was always in the top three trap shooter at our club. His daughter was almost as fast with an 870 Wingmaster.
After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Yes the 31 is a very smooth working pump action.. this one is still very slick to work.