Duck Season Begins

Talk about hunting birds.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Duck Season Begins

Post by skipper »

Three weeks till duck season starts for the first opener. I'm loading steel shot as fast as I can pull the handle on ny press. I can hardly wait!!!

Unlike rat shooting, you can actually eat ducks.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Duck Season Begins

Post by Rick in Oregon »

skipper wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:49 pmUnlike rat shooting, you can actually eat ducks.
Well Skipper, that's correct, but you also can't (and should not) shoot ducks with a 204 either! :lol: And you can't (and should not) shoot 300 ducks per day either! :chin:

Seriously though, if my duck huntin' partner had not died a few years ago, I'd still be out 'ducking'. But with the advent of steel shot, my buddy's passing, and the danger to my vintage Beretta and Miruko O/U's using steel, I lost interest after that. Have at it, the ducks left are all yours! ;)

I even sold both my MEC 9000 progressive loaders, 12ga and 20ga to a good friend, but my Silver Pigeons remain, and will continue to do so.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Here's a few of my shotguns. The Caesar Guerini only gets out at the skeet field though. Not pictured is a Browning Maxus that gets to see a lot of ducks.
IMG_0172 2.jpg
IMG_0172 2.jpg (2.53 MiB) Viewed 47647 times
IMG_0173 2.jpg
IMG_0173 2.jpg (2.51 MiB) Viewed 47647 times
IMG_0174 2.jpg
IMG_0174 2.jpg (2.54 MiB) Viewed 47647 times
IMG_0175 2.jpg
IMG_0175 2.jpg (2.38 MiB) Viewed 47647 times
The Browning Cynergy sporting camp has killed its share as well.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

Holy crap! Those make my M2 Benelli field look like a minimum wage gun!
Last edited by Tom Kat on Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

My dog Brandy, RIP girl. She was a monster of a retriever, almost like a robot. No bird, duck or goose, ever escaped her. By far the smartest dog I was ever around.
Last edited by Tom Kat on Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Brandy retrieved this ground hog I shot in the yard, then went to place, as trained. She would retrieve anything I ever sent her on.

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

OK last one for now. Brandy was a beast, I miss her to this day. I will never have another one be that good, she was a natural. The blood of champions ran through her, and I think it showed.

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Beautiful shotguns Skipper. I am like Rick, but even more so, Since I reached 85 and just do not enjoy the cold and wet rain/snow as I did when younger and also loosing the person I hunted waterfowl with, I have given up on ducks and geese also.
Youngest son, is now heavy into the shotgun and bird shooting and will carry on.

Tom. Our dogs present and past bring us a lot of memories and some very good times to reflect on.

To both Skipper and Tom, Thank you for those photo's.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Just because I don't duck and goose hunt any longer, that doesn't mean I don't get out with my shotguns for "other birds". Dove hunting here is pretty good during September, hot and dry, lots of food sources means lots of birds.

A shot from a recent season with my Beretta 20ga Silver Pigeon and a few birds:

Shooting doves can be a humbling experience when they're twisting, diving and rocketing through the junipers at warp speed. Good stuff! :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

At age 62, I know my days of waterfowl hunting are numbered. For now I am going to keep gutting it out. Luckily for me, I have some younger friends who are willing to take on some of my work carrying decoys, wading, etc. I do love it, but it gets a little harder every year. This is my good friend and hunting buddy Joe. Joe is the young kid of our group, a mere 42 years old. We have froze together, hunted together, suffered together, and had success together for the last 13 years. I am lucky to have him as a friend, he keeps me wanting to waterfowl hunt. He had his first child a year ago, we are the godparents to him. It is my sincere hope I get to go hunting with the kid some day.

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Darrel on the left is a genuine cajun, he was a lot of fun to hunt with! There is Joe in the middle, and on the right my favorite cousin Mike. Mike is one of those people who makes everything look easy. He never makes the rest of us feel bad for not quite being as good at everything. There is my Brandy dog. Some good memories here.
Last edited by Tom Kat on Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

We were able to scratch out a couple of ducks on this day. I remember it was really cold and we had to work for these birds.

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

This was Joes dog Karma. He was a large yellow lab that was a bulldozer. He had a good temperment and was a good retriever. Karma lived to be 13 and passed about 6 months ago. After he retired, he declined with age, it was sad. The last time I saw him he could barley stand up and was nearly blind. He recognized my voice and my smell, and with great effort, came across the room to sit at my feet. I was really touched by that. Dogs are the best. They give you so much, and they ask for so little in return.

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Rick I know what you mean by humbling! I still do some dove hunting. I actually did pretty good this year. Ofcourse I missed some easy shots, too.

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Great you have someone like that. Good times still working for you. Thanks for the photos and info, also.