Birchwood Casey Barricade

Talk about hunting birds.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Birchwood Casey Barricade

Post by skipper »

If you are a duck hunter, then you know what the saltwater environment does to your shotguns. Same goes for ALL your metal gear. Years ago I discovered Birchwood Casey Barricade rust preventer. I was enlightened by yet another duck hunter that I often hunted with. After a hunt, clean your shotgun as usual and then finish up with Barricade rust preventer. You'll thank yourself the next day whenever you realize that your shotgun isn't caked with rust like it usually is. Never leave your prized shotgun in the bag overnight without cleaning no matter how tired you are after an all day cast and blast. Experience is often a cruel teacher!

i hunt the Laguna Madre in the Corpus Christi and Baffin Bay areas. Just the boat ride to the blind alone is enough to cover everything with rust. I wished Birchwood Casey made a product that could flush sea water out of an outboard engine as well as it protects my shotguns. As is, 15 minutes of engine flushing while washing the rest with soap and water is the norm for my boat every trip. Marine grade stainless steel isn't immune to rust either.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Re: Birchwood Casey Barricade

Post by Tom Kat »

I would LOVE to hunt the Laguna Madre some time. I have read about the wintering pintails there. We get a few sprigs that pass through Kansas, most of that is 200 miles west of me.

I have never had to deal with salt water, but am aware of its corrosive nature.

As for gun products, I can tell you from experience that CLP is the premier cleaning agent and lubricant for waterfowl guns in very cold weather. There are no equals in my mind.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Virtually all my years of duck hunting was inland on fresh water ponds at our duck club, never a salt water environment. But your comment on the Birchwood Casey product is interesting, and I'm filing that one away for future use. Sounds like the hot ticket for corrosion protection, and a new one for me.

Good tip, thanks Skipper. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Laguna Madre hunting is like Red Head, Pintail, Red Head, Pintail, Red... OOH a Widgeon!!! Boom Boom!!!! :shotgun:
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

We dont get many Canvas backs here, I would really like to get one Bull Can before I am too old to waterfowl hunt....I am already the oldest duck hunter in the crew...
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes