1st season, 1st day, 1st hour

Talk about hunting birds.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

1st season, 1st day, 1st hour

Post by Melvin Eades »

Yesterday evening I went out to roost turkeys for this mornings hunt and got rained on, sleeted on and snowed on. What can I say, it's Illinois weather. I also wanted to find a place I could cross the creek in the daylight due to the heavy rains we've had lately and the creeks being up.

I got back out there early this morning and was set up by 5:30 am. I had to walk about 1/2 a mile down through a big creek bottom, cross the creek and then up and over to the next creek bottom. There was a heavy frost in the creek bottom, pretty cool for this time of year.

I had set up a hen decoy off to my left about 20' out in a wheat field that sloped down into a little 3 acre corn field and I sat just back into the edge of the brush. I set her on the ground and set a jake decoy standing about 2' behind her. Mature birds don't like the younger ones mating their hens and will usually come in to make things right. The turkeys were roosted across the creek up on a ridge about 200 yards away to my front and right. I figured they would have to cross in front of me to get to the decoys.

As it started getting light, the toms started their gobbling. I waited for a while till I heard an old hen start giving some tree yelps and would copy her. I gave just enough calls to let them know I was there and the toms would gobble back every time. It finally got light enough so I gave some imitation fly down sounds and in a couple minutes I heard turkeys flying down. They did their usual clucking and carrying on like they do and I would give a raspy hen yelp once in a while.

I could here a couple hens coming around the end of the brush to my right but they never did come on through. I gave one more series of hen yelps and saw a bird coming through the brush into the field. As soon as it came into the open it went into a full strut about 45 yards away. I just sat quietly as it strutted and slowly worked it's way closer. The tom got to a point it could see the decoys and started walking right for them. I was already watching him down the gun barrel and when he got straight out in front of me I shot him at 19 yards. I looked at my watch and it was 6:19. This tom came in silent, probably wanting to check out the new girl in town without his buddies tagging along. I could here him drumming as he was strutting.

Here's a picture from where I was sitting to the turkey, 19 yards. The picture isn't very good, the batteries died after taking this picture.

He weighed 24 lbs., had a 10 1/8" beard and 3/4" spurs.

.........and of course the hero shot.

Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Re: 1st season, 1st day, 1st hour

Post by Song Dog »

WTG! Awesome bird!

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
dancindave89
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by dancindave89 »

Fantastic bird. 24lbs. How much lead did you shoot into him? Hee Hee, just kidd'in. Great job. See ya in May for some Turkey and P-doggin.
Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Varmint Hunters Assoc.
NWTF
Varmint Hunter Extraordinare
Dancindave Zwiener
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

DANG if that wasn't quick!! Congratulations on a heckuva nice bird Melvin!! :wink:

Purdy good write up as well!! :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Post by bullfrog »

Nice tom Melvin. That's a biggin.
You don't mess around when it comes to turkeys. Can you get more than one a season?
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

bullfrog,

We have 5 back to back seasons here in IL. You have to apply for which season you want (and hope to get) in a lottery. You can get up to 2 permits. I had first season, Lucas has 2nd season (now), my wife has 3rd season and Lucas and I both have 5th season.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.