AR FUNCTION QUESTIONS?

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

AR FUNCTION QUESTIONS?

Post by TEXAS222 »

My first question for you AR buffs is about the BCG. In your 204's & 223's do you run the M15 or M16 BCG? Does it make a difference with different length gas tubes, rifle, mid, or carbine? When short cycling occurs what do you try changing out first? This particular barrel has a small gas port hole .068 & I've read that some people open it up to .073 but I want that to be my last option. I'm not leaking gas at the gas block either, & I'm using a nibx M16 bcg, standard buffer, & standard spring shooting 50 grain .223's from a 18" barrel mid-length gas tube. 50% of the time it comes back far enough to pick up another round & the other times not. I've also read to clip 1 coil off the spring. Has anyone done this? Thanks for the help,
Jim D :help:
dsandfort
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 BTCSS

Re: AR FUNCTION QUESTIONS?

Post by dsandfort »

I believe the '16 is a heavier bolt carrier which could cause some short cycling. Cutting off a loop of buffer spring seems counter-intuitive. Most of my short cycling problems have been solved with plenty of lube during break-in and plenty of rounds to cycle the action. I have a Les Baer that took at least 4-500 rounds to loosen up.
How many rounds have you shot?
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Post by TEXAS222 »

I've only got around 100 through it so far but it's a nickel boron bcg & all my AR's I shoot wet, not dripping but well lubed, until broke in. I've done this same thing on all my rifle length gassed rifles without one problem but this is my 1st mid length gassed ar. Well I guess I'll keep shooting it a while maybe run some heavy bullets through it & see what happens. Thanks,
Jim D :shrug:
tunnug
.204 Ruger Guns: H&R Handi Rifle

Post by tunnug »

I put together a 300BLK with a 16" barrel, I was experiencing short stroking until I replaced the buffer with a carbine one, I may be wrong but I believe it's the 3oz one (smaller of the two).
I just finished a .204 and took it out for the first time today and it was experiencing the same short stroke, I used a lower from a working .223 that I had so I'll need to take it apart and see what buffer I have, when short stroking it's usually a spring and or buffer issue.