Ghost guns

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Ghost guns

Post by Bill K »

Most, or at least a lot, saw the news report the other night, by Sen Schumer and the ATF agent, talking about how criminals are showing up all over with so called "Ghost guns" the agent showed a 80% receiver and proceded to drill a few holes, and put together a AR and then show how it actually would shoot.
My question is how much milling/work is required to finish that type of receiver ? Bill K
randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

Re: Ghost guns

Post by randyman »

I've been looking at these quite a bit and have talked with several folks who have done their own 80% lower and all said was easy with the jig. The key here is that it is for yourself. I checked out one web site and their 80% lowers which are shipped to your house and not an FFL dealer only need the following 5 things done. Not all manufacturers are the same. Some require the magazine well to be hogged out also.
1. Fire control group
2. Trigger Pin
3. Hammer Pin
4. Trigger slot
5.Safety selector hole
Most of the jigs that you need to purchase to locate the holes come with the drill and router bits required to complete the lower. A drill press and a small hand held trim router are all that's required or so I've been told.
Even though there isn't a serial number on the rifle, it's been advised by more than one person that you mark the gun somewhere to prove it's yours.
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/firearm ... ology.html . This is the ATF website with their FAQ about ghost guns. Randy.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Thank You for that information. Interesting. Also interesting that the news report and even the ATF agent showing how simple a criminal could put together a "Ghost gun" did not mention that, just showed him with a electric drill and bit. Bill K
Rocdog4127
.204 Ruger Guns: "none"

Post by Rocdog4127 »

I have done four 80% recievers, I used the Modulus Arms
Heavy duty jig and a laminate router. I have let some of my buddies use my stuff to build some for themselves
They work very well, and almost look factory done. Remember you can'to build one and sell, or give it away. It is yours for life. I stamp my initials on the little flat spot under the grip where it can'take be seen. Go for it!
randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

Post by randyman »

I also read on the ATF web site that you can take your ghost gun to a gunsmith but you can't leave it. The gunsmith would then be in possession of a firearm without a serial number. I'd like to build one but want to go in with a couple other guys on the jig to share the cost. I'm in Northern California near Chico if anyone out there is interested. Randy.
Rocdog4127
.204 Ruger Guns: "none"

Post by Rocdog4127 »

Also, Randy look into the 5D 80% jig. Looks like a really good one.