Coyote specific AR build - need opinions

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
ChasinYotes
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 AR

Coyote specific AR build - need opinions

Post by ChasinYotes »

I am building a coyote specific AR for mostly thermal hunting. I would like to keep the weight down since I will be walking quite a bit. So far I’ve found most parts coming from either Seekins or JP. Not quite sure on barrel company, length, or twist. Most shots should be 300 and in. Will pick round based on accuracy and fir damage. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This will be my first build (do have a veteran helping me) and I really want to do it right the first time.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: Coyote specific AR build - need opinions

Post by skipper »

Not sure why some of our AR enthusiasts haven't weighed in yet? I don't have a 204 Ruger AR so I cannot help you much. My AR is a 223 SIG. Love it!
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Have the 5.56 and 224 Valkyrie uppers and like either one very much. Have thought about a 204R or 20 Practical, but will stick with these two, for now. I would say, stick to a 18 or 20 inch barrel. Bill K :)
ChasinYotes

Post by ChasinYotes »

Have also looked at .224 Valkyrie. Looks like you could reload a round decent on fur. There is a lot of good info out there on both, but it’s tough to know who has an opinion vs who has experience.
dsandfort
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 BTCSS

Post by dsandfort »

I shoot a .204R with a Shilen barrel (9 twist) and a Lancer carbon fiber handguard. Also use an adjustable gas block and a side charger ambidextrous receiver so I don't have to chase brass all over the prairie. Then, I turned it into a boat anchor by adding a Magpul PRS stock (not a great walk around option).
The rifle shoots great, easily less than 1 MOA.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

ChasinYotes wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:02 pm Have also looked at .224 Valkyrie. Looks like you could reload a round decent on fur. There is a lot of good info out there on both, but it’s tough to know who has an opinion vs who has experience.
Have shot several coyotes now with my 224 Valkyrie. The 55 grain sp's really open them up from around 70 to 250 yards. So if you are after fur, not use them. I have shot a couple using the heavier grain bullets and they do not seem to tear them up much. So if you are after fur ( I don't fool with them out here) use something along those lines. Bill K :)
ChasinYotes

Post by ChasinYotes »

I have the 204 ready to go. 18” barrel, pre-suppressor on. I have decided on 32 gr vmax slowed down to 3750 fps. Anyone recommend any specific dies for reloading a 204ar? Also, worried about powder burn rate. What powder do you suggest for cold weather and a quicker burn rate? Thanks.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

My RCBS small base dies work just fine for my 204R. And a near max charge of CFE 223 is working very well, year round for me. From temps in the 80;s to lows of minus 12. Now I only use the 32 grain lead free Nosler, with the new lead free law in Commie Kalifornia.
randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

Post by randyman »

I also use the RCBS small base dies in my .204 AR. Without using the small base dies the bolt won't close. Mine isn't a walk around gun though with a 24" Shilen bull barrel and a Ca. legal stock this thing weighs in at 12 lbs including the bipod and scope. I use nothing but CFE223 at around 29.5 gr.pushing a 32gr Nosler lead-free bullet. The bullets are seated to 2.915 OAL and feed through the magazine fine. What it does to coyotes isn't pretty! Squirrels don't fare too well either. This is the gun is sue for the annual 5 shot challenge and while I'm not close to the accuracy that Bill K has, I can usually cover all 5 shots with a quarter. Randy,