AR15 Trigger solutions????

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
shotgunred50
.204 Ruger Guns: Model 1 sales AR-15 .204

AR15 Trigger solutions????

Post by shotgunred50 »

Hey guys, I just got a brand new burris fullfield 2 tactical scope zeroed in and I need a better trigger to get the most out of my .204. It is an ar-15 and I know that there are a lot of drop in triggers out there and I know you can lighten the pull with some different springs. I was just wondering what you guys like for a trigger on a varmint gun.....especially on ar's. Thanks guys....ill try to get a pic up on here
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Re: AR15 Trigger solutions????

Post by OldTurtle »

I have four ARs, my .204 has a JP set of trigger springs with stock hardware and gives me really good trigger control with minimal cost.. My .223s have 1) Rock River National Match-2stage, 2) Chip McCormick drop-in single stage, and 3) a totally plastic fire control group with metal springs (not broken in yet), it's one of those Plum Crazy lowers that take about 100+ rounds to mate in...

There are higher dollar units out on the market that have excellent reputations, if you have the money.. I really like my Chip McCormick, but fro the dollar investment, the JP springs are pretty nice as well,,,that trigger group has been thoroughly broken in and is pretty smooth..
AR
Factory/Factory
jwc41
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15 clone

Post by jwc41 »

I have a Chip McCormick drop-in trigger unit in a 223 AR, and a Timney drop-in unit in a 204 AR. They are a virtual toss-up in trigger pull quality, although the Timney started closer to the rated 3 lbs than the CM to its rated 3.5 lbs.

The CM is somewhat easier to install, although the little C-clips that attach to the included pins are easy to lose. Apparently that is common, because mine came with extra clips. The Timney uses OEM pins; however, it has two sets of set screws to secure the unit inside the receiver and press against the pins so they won't back out.

If I were to build another varmint AR, I'd get the one that was on sale at the time.

BTW, I have a FFII Tactical in 6.5X20 on a bolt 204. It's a great scope for the money.
DDRanch
.204 Ruger Guns: RRA AR-15

Post by DDRanch »

I have a couple of the RRA triggers in my varmit ARs and they work great, also have tried the JP springs and they are great also at a bargain price of under $10.00 if you want to stay with a single stage trigger.
joghotrod

Post by joghotrod »

I like my Jewell. I have the second stage set for less than a pound and it works great for PD's and when I shoot my 6BR upper at the 600 yd targets.

Jimmy
.204 Ruger M77 Mark II Weaver 6-24
.222 Rem. BDL Varmint Leupold VX III 6.5-20
.204 Dtech AR 24 in. 1/9 twist SS Fluted Shilen Barrel with Compensator, Leatherwood 8.5-25 uni-dial Also 1/12 twist Shilen. NRA Life Member
6BR Dtech Upper, Shilen 1/8 twist.
mzimmers
.204 Ruger Guns: none yet

Post by mzimmers »

Do you want a single-stage or two-stage trigger?

JP Rifles has just released a new single-stage trigger. They call it a drop-in though it's still a two-piece installation. I just installed mine (haven't shot it yet) and it feels fantastic.

I also have a Jard and a Timney in single-stage, and a Rock River two-stage. I'm happy with all of them. Lots of good choices out there, but you do need to decide whether you want a single stage or not.
bigcatdaddy
.204 Ruger Guns: savage

Post by bigcatdaddy »

Help a newbee out. Why would I want a single vs. two-stage?

I just bought a 2-stage Geissele...why? Because I'm a newbee, it had a good rep and I thought the price was right. Although I know absolutly nothing about triggers, figured I got to jump in somewhere. From my naieve vantage, it seems like there are a lot of excellent triggers out there.
OldTurtle

Post by OldTurtle »

Why would I want a single vs. two-stage
It really comes down to the type of shooting you do the most...

A single stage seems to work better for precision shooting, as there is little, if any, take up when you are applying pressure... I have single stage triggers in my mostly bench/Prairie Dog rifles...

A two stage has a higher degree of take up before breaking and is usually better for action competition or hunting use, especially if you are shooting with gloves...There is much less chance of an accidental discharge and the overall trigger pull weight is usually a little higher than a single stage...
AR
Factory/Factory
bigcatdaddy
.204 Ruger Guns: savage

Post by bigcatdaddy »

thx for that reply....

I notice some shooters seem to be 2-stage guys and some 1-stage guys. Guess I'll soon get the firsthand experience!
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

I've got a two stage Jewell in mine. I really like it......expensive but I'm happy. I hate trying to get by as cheap as possible because it seems that there is always something that I dont like with the cheap stuff and then I spend even more to get what I want. So this round I just bit the bullet and bought a Jewell because I was fairly sure it was the perfect fit for me. I primarily use my AR for coyote hunting.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
OldTurtle

Post by OldTurtle »

bigcatdaddy, I should add that I have four ARs... Two have single stage triggers and two have 2 stage triggers....Each is set up for different types of shooting...
AR
Factory/Factory
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

Im going to try a jewel trigger. Havent done so yet. They can be set very light on the second stage. The stock trigger is the most horrible I have ever shot! Grity with way too much travel.
BLUE72CAMARO
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS LR204 - AR15

Post by BLUE72CAMARO »

I have a jard single stage trigger in my dpms LR204 and it was a pain to get adjusted properly it is very crisp with a trigger pull that is about as light as I want to go on a hunting gun.
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

I have a Jewell working beutifull. This trigger is smooth as glass. The install instructions are poor but it is worth a bit of head scratching. Feels like a different gun.Cant wait to see results on paper when the weather warms.
6.5x61Super
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther LR-204

Post by 6.5x61Super »

Jard.