Scope mount for my AR(s)

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Scope mount for my AR(s)

Post by bow shot »

What are 'yall using on your ARs?

I have a YHM riser holding up Warne rings on one upper, and High Weaver tacticals rings mounted directly on another upper.

I like the idea of the one-piece mount...

Yes, I know I'll have to re-zero if I move a dedicated scope/mount pair, if I rotate it between uppers, but is anyone doing that and fairly happy with the mount?

I'm looing at the Burris PEPR and RRA mounts... and deep down inside hope there is something cheaper that isn't ...well... cheaper. I guess I should know better, lol!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Scope mount for my AR(s)

Post by Rick in Oregon »

bow shot: I see you posting alot of AR stuff here, and wonder if you'd get more responses from like-minded AR shooters over at AR15.com. Just a thought, as most here are bolt gun shooters. Good luck. :D

http://www.ar15.com/forums/b/3_AR_15.html
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

kyyotestalker
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 sps varmint

Post by kyyotestalker »

There are 2 main styles of flat top ar mounts and you have to decide if you want a quick detach (my personal choice) or a fixed mount! if you want a quick detach look for an american defence mounts on midwayusa.com they are nicely priced (125-200 dollars depending on model) and very well made or a burris ar pepr qd for $99, if you want a fixed look for a nikon m223 mount or a burris ar pepr 1 piece mount both are about $100! my personal choice is an American Defense Scout Quick-Release Extended Picatinny-Style with 1" Rings it works perfictally on my colt hbarII with an a2 butt stock and can be taken on and off with out a loss of zero but it runs $150
Where did that hit? I dont know aim alittle higher!
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

Ok, thanks for the intel folks.

I've been cruising on ar15.com and sniper's hide, and is seems that If I don't want to hate life, I'll need to just spend the $ on a something like 'stalker mentioned. I see furhntr has an armalite mount on the swapmeet here, but its for 30mm tube.

'Time to sell something less important like our food or lawnmower or something...
Lead Lobber
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Mark II Target Barrel Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40

Post by Lead Lobber »

I have a M223 Nikon mount and like it alot....plus it is made in the US unlike the Burris Stuff. I lapped it with a lapping bar and I didn't have to take out much material to get a "true" mating surface. I have a Leupold 6-18x40 mounted on it now.

I bet I looked for a month for good mount. Since this rifle is set up for distance, I was never going to remove the mount. The quick latch systems are convenient but there is no way it can keep a true 0 at 200+ yards. That is my opinion.....the quick mounts are great for a red dot scope or anything close range, but a long range gun????No way, at least not for me.
kyyotestalker
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 sps varmint

Post by kyyotestalker »

Lead Lobber wrote:The quick latch systems are convenient but there is no way it can keep a true 0 at 200+ yards. That is my opinion.....the quick mounts are great for a red dot scope or anything close range, but a long range gun????No way, at least not for me.
i have to differ here on this one with a quality made and installed mount on a proper spec rail a quick latch system can be very accurate! My adm quick detach mount on my accurized colt ar shoots .25 moa at 100 and stays sub moa out to 600 I can removed the mount and lock and unlock the locking lever several times with it off the rifle then remount the optic and have no change in zero!
Where did that hit? I dont know aim alittle higher!
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

I may just keep it attached to the YHM iser and move ther riser over and back. 'Mainly want to avoid the hazards/hassels of moving it in/out of rings, or moving it in the rings.
204Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77II Ultralight

Post by 204Shooter »

Burris PEPR is a good product. I mostly use their xtreme tactical rings. They are a high quality product and work very well.
Marriage is the only sport where the trapped animal has to buy the license! ... Just kiddin honey! :hail:
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

Very close to going with the PEPR.. or RRA
Lead Lobber

Post by Lead Lobber »

ADM makes a great product, as does RRA........

As far as a detatch system, I just have the fear of getting a hair or grain of sand under the lip of the rail or something. .005" on the rail will make a huge difference at 500 yards.
Last edited by Lead Lobber on Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

Yeah, I figure I'll have to sight in each time I move it.. But I'm outa optics cash for now :cry: ...
Lead Lobber

Post by Lead Lobber »

If you want something cheap, I have a rail and rings for sale. $30 plus $5 shipping. I don't know the make but it came on my AR when I bought it.

I can send you a picture if you are interested.
bow shot

Post by bow shot »

Thanks 'Lobber, but I'm gonna hold out for now. I'll just wait till I have the $ and likely go with the Burris mount,
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

I picked up the PEPR (non-QD) today for my new AR. Pretty nice mount. Was a little sad to see it is made in China instead of here in the US. Burris is up the road from me here in Colorado. Wasn't aware, or at least I didn't remember, it isn't made in the US. Still, I am happy with the mount for $79.
inKYfromSD
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 varmint .204, Cooper Model 21 20 VarTarg

Post by inKYfromSD »

I've been very happy with the RRA mounts on both of my AR's. Very solid and took Cerakote well.