BCG Question for .204 build

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
Seth
.204 Ruger Guns: AR Platform JD Machine/DPMS

BCG Question for .204 build

Post by Seth »

Hello Everybody............quick question....

im building a 204 with a 24" barrel and a standard a2 buffer, buffer tube and spring for ACE stock. my question is can i use a m16 type (FA) BCG or do i need to get a lighter commerical version?
ClaimJumper
.204 Ruger Guns: 3 custom .204's,22-250ai, 5-223, 6br Norma, Savage builds

Re: BCG Question for .204 build

Post by ClaimJumper »

There might be a Legal issue that needs to be addressed first. In your state is this legal? FA parts in any weapon are regulated.

Wa. State it's a no-no

RCW 9.41.220

Retired Timber faller
Seth

Post by Seth »

No legal issue here. i am speaking of the bolt carrier group not any M16 fire control components.

m16 bolt carriers are legal even in in good ol CALIFORNIA. 8)

Written by Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE), Chief of the Firearms Technology Branch
...M16 bolt carriers are not designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun and are not any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled. Further, an M16 bolt carrier is not a firearm as defined in the GCA or a machinegun as defined in the NFA. An M16 bolt carrier is simply a machinegun part and as such its domestic sale and possession is unregulated under the Federal firearms laws. It is not unlawful to utilize a M16 machinegun bolt carrier in a semiautomatic AR15 type rifle.
Seth

Post by Seth »

RCW 9.41.220

All machine guns, short-barreled shotguns, or short-barreled rifles, or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or in converting a weapon into a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, illegally held or illegally possessed are hereby declared to be contraband

......solely and exclusively......i would say m16 bolt carriers would b legal in washington too. because even atf says "M16 bolt carriers are not designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun" . but im not a lawyer so you decide for yourself :D
Grayfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP Shilen 1-10 twist

Post by Grayfox »

I run the heavy BCG in all my rifles.The M16 legal/AR15 heavy carrier was the original design. Go to BravoCompanyUSA.com and click on bolt/carrier auto for AR15-M16-A4. Below the discription is is an article written by the BATFE. This explains why they are legal to use.

I have one BCM carrier and a Daniel Defence carrier. Both are excellent quality.

I also use a Tubb chrome silicon buffer spring and standard buffer in my rifles.

Grayfox
Seth

Post by Seth »

Grayfox wrote:I run the heavy BCG in all my rifles.The M16 legal/AR15 heavy carrier was the original design. Go to BravoCompanyUSA.com and click on bolt/carrier auto for AR15-M16-A4. Below the discription is is an article written by the BATFE. This explains why they are legal to use.

I have one BCM carrier and a Daniel Defence carrier. Both are excellent quality.

I also use a Tubb chrome silicon buffer spring and standard buffer in my rifles.

Grayfox
Are any of your AR's chambered in 204?
i also run BCM and LMT heavy carriers in my 5.56's.

however i am unsure if they work well with a rifle length gas tube and the .204 rd. i dont plant to do any rapid firing with this rifle but i want it to fire flawlessly. it seems the 204 is slightly higher pressure rd according to my reloading books so i butt/u/me it would work well but..............
Grayfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP Shilen 1-10 twist

Post by Grayfox »

I have a 204 Ruger and 6.5 Grendel with them in.Both are rifle lenght with A2 stocks. They work very well and I never had a problem.
Seth

Post by Seth »

Grayfox wrote:I have a 204 Ruger and 6.5 Grendel with them in.Both are rifle lenght with A2 stocks. They work very well and I never had a problem.

Thank you. i was almost positive it would but i just wanted to be sure. i dont want to do any trial and error, and i dont have any friends with 204's on the AR platform to ask.

:duh: heck im a pistol shooter and my other rifles are carbines.