ar dreams ?

Talk about ARs, in all their varieties!
204cat
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700 sps in 204ruger

ar dreams ?

Post by 204cat »

please forgive the dumb questions. i know nothing or very little about the ar platform. have a rem 700 sps bolt that i love. was reading midway "how to build a ar15" and ar15.com . was reading about the a3 and the flat upper.
1. is the assist really necessary ?
2. i understand there are 3 different lowers for each of the calibers. ???? how do you tell the difference ????

3. i do not have the money but i would like one of these day to own a dpms panthor 204 ruger. varment barrel rig. no fluting.

4. i would like to have a custome 28 inch barrel bull as thick as possible . greater than .92 inch . possible ? say like 2inch diamiter . want it as heavy as possible.

5. would like to build this as decreatly as possible. what can i get with out background check ?

6. passed background check for sps 700. but want parts for dream rifle. was looking at post ban and pree ban rifles. never seen a post ban ar. what is the difference ? at some gun show they all have pree ban stuff on them. no pistol grip ? no clips ? no bs ?

7. know to keep brass separate from sps. so how many shots can ar get ? or have per clip ?

personally love the bolt. but ....
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Re: ar dreams ?

Post by Vartarg »

Not an expert, but I'll answer what I can.....
204cat wrote:please forgive the dumb questions. i know nothing or very little about the ar platform. have a rem 700 sps bolt that i love. was reading midway "how to build a ar15" and ar15.com . was reading about the a3 and the flat upper.
2. i understand there are 3 different lowers for each of the calibers. ???? how do you tell the difference ????

The assist isn't necessary......There are separate lowers for the 5.56/.223 format, and another for the .308 format. Also, some lowers are attached to the uppers with small pins, Colt and perhaps others with large pins. Other than this, generally, a lower is a lower is a lower.

3. i do not have the money but i would like one of these day to own a dpms panthor 204 ruger. varment barrel rig. no fluting.

RRA makes one without fluting, but I think it'd be a special item from DPMS

4. i would like to have a custome 28 inch barrel bull as thick as possible . greater than .92 inch . possible ? say like 2inch diamiter . want it as heavy as possible.

Why not just buy a cannon? I see little value in a barrel larger than .92.....but what do I know?

5. would like to build this as decreatly as possible. what can i get with out background check ?

You'll have to pass a Federal background check for the lower, which is considered the "gun." You should also check your local and state laws, to make sure you're compliant.

6. passed background check for sps 700. but want parts for dream rifle. was looking at post ban and pree ban rifles. never seen a post ban ar. what is the difference ? at some gun show they all have pree ban stuff on them. no pistol grip ? no clips ? no bs ?

The post/pre nonsens was started in the early 90's with the Clinton gun controls laws.....effectively forbad flash hiders, bayonet lugs, magazines over 10 rounds, etc. The laws expired several years ago, and most of what you see now is post-ban: without the restraints of the earlier proscriptions.

7. know to keep brass separate from sps. so how many shots can ar get ? or have per clip ?

Mags for the 5.56/.223 are 5, 10, 20 & 30 rounds.....you could use the same brass if they meet magazine length limits and have been full length sized.

I suggest you get and read carefully "The Complete Ar15/m16 Sourcebook" by Duncan Long, "The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide" by Walter Kuleck, "The Shooter's Bible Guide to the AR-15" by Doug Howlett. These would be a good start.....one and perhaps more, plus others you can find on Amazon.com

PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
204cat

Post by 204cat »

The assist isn't necessary......There are separate lowers for the 5.56/.223 format, and another for the .308 format. Also, some lowers are attached to the uppers with small pins, Colt and perhaps others with large pins. Other than this, generally, a lower is a lower is a lower.

is there something on the lower that says 5.56 or .223 or 308 so that you know which one it is ?

i was thinking that a larger bull would absorb recoil and dissipate heat better. but mostly for looks.

thank you for the book recommendations will try to get those.
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

Very good start, here is a little more.

--As said, no not necessary.

--There is one 223/5.56Nato. and 2, 308 patterns. As stated Only colt made the large pins in 5.56. The 308 issue is one pattern is identical to the 223, in that near the buttstock attachment it is round. The other pattern it is slanted, rather than a round radius. Most lowers say "multi" or "5.56", but not always.
As to the difference between the 308 lower Vs. the 223; the 308 is MUCH larger. Eugene's original design was only just big enough to house a 223. Think of the size difference between the 308 and 223.

----Don't get super caught-up on names... Not that many "big names" actually make their own lowers. DPMS' lower is build by LAR.

----No bolt gun(sub 50 cal) has that either, and for the same reasons. You can't screw it into the receiver!

---CAN?? Well you CAN do alot of things.... The lower(stripped) is legally the gun, thus paperwork. Otherwise everything else you can buy at the grocery store.

----While it is "post-ban" now, it is the same as the "pre-ban" stuff. During the ban, IF you had a flash hider it had to be permanently attached. Some companies still offer that as an option. Don't worry about it, if someone brings it up; most likely they want to sell you something.

---Your state dependant, the common stuff is 20, and 30 round mags. Clips are used in a Garand... Beta makes 100 round drums, and Surefire sells mags that are 60 and 100.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.
Grayfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP Shilen 1-10 twist

Post by Grayfox »

Go to a custom barrel makers web site and see what it would cost you to make that barrel. Also what it weights. There is a reason they only go to one inch diameter barrels. You have to leave room for the gas tube to fit. Also you will need a custom upper designed to hold the weight of the 28" barrel bobing out of that aluminun receiver.

A barrel longer than 24" is not needed in a 204 Ruger. Ask "Rick in Oregon" or check his postings.

If you want to semi-build it your self you can buy kits. All you need to do is buy a lower some where.
My brother bought a kit in 6.5 Grendel from J&T.They sell 204 Ruger kits with heavy barrels. The upper half is put together and you have to install the lower parts yourself. This is a good way to go if you want to.

Grayfox
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

...and hang out for a while at ar15.com. More information there than you can stand, LOL!!
204cat

Post by 204cat »

ok it might have to be a 1" barrel by 28" or so. was thinking the extra weight for a target rifle would absorb recoil better. now i am not so sure about getting one. but i think it is good to learn about them.

i do visit ar15 dot com and look at all the model on display. read what i can and learn.

another question. also been reading about sub calibers was wondering what would need to be done to convert an ar15 to a 14/223 or 14/204 necked down to 14 caliber. a fitting barrel is obvious but anything else ? maybe i might just build a bolt rifle in those. again do not have the money right now.
thank you.

still very happy with the rem 700 sps. one other question. how does the pistol grip affect accuracy ?
Darkker

Post by Darkker »

The standard HBAR or Heavy Barrels are .950" that(depending on set-up) step down to .935-.750" at the gas block. In glancing at my 950, I don't know if 1" would allow room for the gas tube or not; would be close.

I am a little confused about the "absorb recoil" comment, I have never had a 5.56/204 AR that kicked much more than a 10/22...
204cat

Post by 204cat »

the sps in the 204 is a joy to shoot. even on a great day i can hold it under .25 but after having seen ricks pic of a 20 vartarg at .152 i need all the skill i can get to even match that and equipment too. was thinking that a 14 vartarg in a bolt would be very accurate. how ever on a not so good day something around .35 is barely manageable.

downloaded all the pdf files and still need to finish reading some of them.

thank you i now have a better understanding of the ar platform. still learning though.
Pmoper
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FV

Post by Pmoper »

204cat wrote:

is there something on the lower that says 5.56 or .223 or 308 so that you know which one it is ?

i was thinking that a larger bull would absorb recoil and dissipate heat better. but mostly for looks.

thank you for the book recommendations will try to get those.
Hi....223 hasn't enough recoil to even mention ..so rule that out as a consideration, and .204 has even less.....
204cat

Post by 204cat »

was reading about the burst mode. what about in burst mode with the 223 or 204 ? would that burst mode even be necessary ?

it said that it fires 3 shots before the recoil is even felt. is there a way to change the number of rounds fired ? and how is that set up ? through the gas tube or a counter on the trigger ?

have to take a better look at that. target and bench rest is what i have in mind. that is if one of these day i do go for the build. thank you for the reply. the 204 does not have that much recoil but it is enough to lift the cross hairs off the target. eighter that or i am flinching.
Darkker

Post by Darkker »

The 3-round burst is due to a cam type addition to the trigger. Those parts(I believe) fall under the control of the NFA. So you gotta buy a $200 stamp, then get approved(current wait is about 8 months). At least in the USA, not something you can just go out and buy.
Unless you are shooting a REALLY REALLY light rifle, a bolt action 204 won't do much for sight picture other than wiggle.
You are flinching, or not holding the gun tightly.
204cat

Post by 204cat »

thank you i was afraid that i was flinching. i hold a soft feel on the bull barrel 700 sps and do not grip it tightly. the flinching only happens once in a while. if i feel a snug butplate against the shoulder i think that i am fine but should also hold a tighter grip. maybe i am reacting more that i thought and only notice the real big flinches. will pay attention to that next range trip.

ok so the burst is not standard with all ars. got it. again many thanks. i know i can be full of questions.
204cat

Post by 204cat »

it maybe that i have the scope set higher than you do ? having it set higher i therefore see more movement.