Postal Shoot, Rear Bag Squeezing 101

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Postal Shoot, Rear Bag Squeezing 101

Post by skipper »

In a recent post I stated that you shouldn’t squeeze the rear bag when shooting groups. Please, let me expand on that a little. I am a habitual bag squeezer. I squeeze the rear bag every time I shoot. That sounds contradictory to what I said previously. Bear with me here. When I stated that you shouldn’t squeeze the rear bag while shooting, I meant that you shouldn’t hold the rear bag as you pull the trigger. Squeezing the bag while fine tuning your crosshairs on the bull’s eye is something that I think is acceptable, as long as you let go before you start pulling the trigger.

Just the same as fluffing a pillow, squeezing the rear bag is a great way to help fine tune your sight picture. First I make coarse adjustments with my front rest elevation wheel. Next, I make windage adjustments by scooting my rear bag one direction or the other. Then I accomplish my final tweaking by squeezing the bag. I try to make my coarse adjustments so that my crosshairs are directly above the center of the bull’s eye. That way when I squeeze the rear bag, the butt of the rifle raises and the crosshairs lower into the center of the bull’s eye. I always let go of the bag and see if my “fluffing” will hold the crosshairs on target without having to hold pressure on the bag. If the crosshairs move off center when I let go of the bag, I make more adjustments until I can let go of the bag without the crosshairs drifting off center. Now I can concentrate on focusing on the crosshairs, breath control and squeezing the trigger straight to the rear. My goal is to have the crosshairs perfectly centered on the bull’s eye with the rifle resting in the bags unaided. Whenever I try to hold the crosshairs on target by maintaining pressure on the rear bag, my groups suffer.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
.204 Sniper

Post by .204 Sniper »

Do you try to control recoil, or just let 'er fly?
When your attack is going well you are about to be ambushed.
skipper

Post by skipper »

.204 Sniper

At the range I shoot free recoil. I pinch the trigger. That's the only part of me touching the rifle. The rifle usually recoils about two inches. I push it forward and fire again. I have found this method to be extremely effective.
.204 Sniper

Post by .204 Sniper »

Admit it..............you just enjoy squeezing your bag! :lmao:
(Couldn't resist!)

Thanks for the tip................I'll try it. I usually 'press' the trigger in between heartbeats. That's why I shoot with a 2 ouncer!
When your attack is going well you are about to be ambushed.
skipper

Post by skipper »

The rear bag trick does a real nice job. Especially with a two ounce Jewell trigger and shooting free recoil. The felt on my rear bag helps her slide smooth in the bags.

HogPopper

Post by HogPopper »

Nice shootin' there buddy. Beautiful rig too. I do a little informal I.B.S score shooting. 6 PPC. Use the same front rest too. I like it a lot. Keep dropping those babies in the same hole,R.J.
skipper

Post by skipper »

I try hard but I have to be honest and tell you that that target is usually the exception and not the rule. I have to shoot quite a few groups to come up with ONE like that. But I keep plugging along trying to improve my technique. My major downfall is that I can't read the wind. My idea of reading the wind is to sit there and wait for it to die down. One of these days.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Skipper: Are you using wind flags during your range sessions? I've got a very cool set from Russ Haydon that work extremely well. I even take them for BR Varmint Shooting in the field, and by reading/using them, am able to make hits that surprise even me at extended ranges.

His flags employ the use of video light stands, pivot on Delrin bearings, made from aluminum alloy tubing with a vane and plastic streamers. By consulting a anemometer also, you can quickly corrolate actual wind speed by the attitude of the flag. After some use, a quick glance at the flag enables the shooter to make quick wind adjustments for those far off rodents. At the range, you can then duplicate conditions for shot to shot consistency by waiting for the flags all attain the same attitude. He sells them in sets of three. I had the Red Oxx Company make me an individual sleeve for each flag and stand, and a cordura nylon carry case for the entire set. Don't know how I ever got along without the set, both at the range, and in the varmint patch. :D

Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Good post, Rick....

Having played the serious accuracy game back in the 1980's, I'm amazed at the number of rifles - many bone stock bare factory rifles - that regularly shoot under 0.25" (on the internet) and nary a mention of wind flags in most cases from the shooters.... :lol: Some even do it over the hood of a truck with just a rolled up back pack. :roll:

I wish I had been able to get access to that kind of factory equipment back then.... It was hard enough being consistent even with a glued-in Hart action and a good custom barrel plus ALL the extra goodies.... Even for the consistent winners like Jeff Fowler was back then....

Wind flags, an extraordinarily accurate rifle, consistent loads, etc., etc., and a little luck were all required to shoot competitively. And they are still the ingredients for the consistent winners today...

-BCB
skipper

Post by skipper »

Rick

I do use wind flags but usually just one sitting right beside me consisting of nothing more that surveyors tape. I think I'll have to have one every twenty yards in order to actually learn anything. The wind conditions at my bench may be different than they at the target and in between. Then there is the aspect of reading the mirage. I have a lot to learn in this area, admittedly.

There is an article on 6mmbr.com right now on this very subject. I'm not sure how much of the information would be useful for group shooting at 100 yards. I think I'm just going to have to keep good records of how much deflection I'm seeing under various conditions with a certain bullet traveling at a given speed. It's the only way I can see to get repeatable results when trying to figure how much to hold off. I can't see clicking when the conditions will change before I can get my finger back on the trigger. It's more like holding off is be a better method for changing conditions.