Storms in Cypress, Texas

Discussion about topics not related to hunting or the 204 Ruger.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Storms in Cypress, Texas

Post by skipper »

It's been a challenging couple of days now in Cypress, Texas. We were hit by some severe storms and tornadoes. I was sparred the full force of mother nature with only a few shingles torn off, knocked over Harley, and loss of power for about 12 hours. Power is off over a widespread area due to many transmission towers down. Gasoline and food are hard to find around the area where I live.

The first two pictures are of downtown which was hit by winds of over 100 MPH. The mayor asked all Houstonians to stay clear of downtown due to falling glass, trees and other objects. The streets were like running a gauntlet.

power outages.jpeg
power outages.jpeg (133.35 KiB) Viewed 484 times

Power outages 3.jpeg
Power outages 3.jpeg (10.03 KiB) Viewed 484 times

This picture is very near my house. The loss of numerous transmission lines is causing a lot of restoration issues. I received a call from CenterPoint Energy stating that power should be restored by May 21st. Glad my power is back on and that the temperatures weren't too high without AC. Nothing like candlelight dinners and cooking on the gas grill. When the storm hit we were hunkered in an under-stairs closet. The hail was hitting hard and the wind was howling. Grandkids were scared, I was too.

power outages 2.jpeg
power outages 2.jpeg (112.72 KiB) Viewed 484 times
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Storms in Cypress, Texas

Post by Bill K »

Been wondering how you and yours were Skipper. Glad to hear you were not greatly hit directly by the storms. Any loss is not good, but things could have been worse. Hope, as I know they will, others recover and rebuild safe and sound. Thanks for your update.
SecretCode
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 vlp .204

Post by SecretCode »

Very Glad to hear you and yours made it through better than some. Stay safe Skipper.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Glad you mostly weathered the storm, Skipper. Hope your bike was not too badly damaged from the knock-over.

High winds are amazing when seen up close and personal. After surviving two raging typhoons in the western Pacific, I have much respect for those winds ever since. You were fortunate to not have damage like your pics show and what we've all seen on the news. You dodged that bullet Skipper! :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

WOW...Good to hear you dodge disaster, that looks pretty bad.