HEY LURKERS!!! GET TO POSTING-

Discussion about topics not related to hunting or the 204 Ruger.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

HEY LURKERS!!! GET TO POSTING-

Post by Tom Kat »

If you are looking at this board and never posting, YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM!!!

We need some member activity!!!!

GET TO IT MEN!!!!!
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: HEY LURKERS!!! GET TO POSTING-

Post by Bill K »

Exactly what I say Tom. Where is everyone ? Must be in the late summer/fall mode of doing other stuff or something.

By the way, how do you like the looks of the new Garmin Zero Chrony that they brought out ? Looks very intersting and will record up to 5000 FPS, so the ads say. Bill K :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Okay then, just to take up some forum bandwidth and to get something posted, here's an old CCI ad that appeared in all the gun magazines back in the early 80's (July 1982) that featured yours truly and my best friend on a advertising photo shoot with a National Geographic photographer and a manager from CCI in Lewiston ID. I was doing some work with CCI and invited the fellow I was working with to come out for some chuck fun....he did, and it was fun.

The photo was shot on a friends ranch here where we shot rock chucks and ground squirrels, overlooking Mt. Bachelor in the distance. I'm in the straw western hat with my Sako Vixen 223.

That was a while ago, the ranch now is bordered by condo's, no more shooting, the California yuppies have arrived. Sound familiar? After over 40 years, things change, and usually NOT for the better.
So lurkers, I know you've got something worthy to share, so share away before this forum goes moribund too.

Bill K: From what I read on other accuracy forums, the new Garmin chrono is sure to be a big hit, many LabRadar's are now for sale. The BR guys are lining up for this one. Guess I'll have to check it out, being the latest 'n greatest.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

First and foremost Rick, Thank you for the photo and short story about it and your part and all. Great memories for sure.
Some of my area is seeing the same thing, even if still in Kalifornia. Lib's from the city have bought some area places and then of course, posted it all off limits for hunting and shooting. So some of it rubs off even in Kalifornia and good areas.

I think that Garmin's set up is going to take away from some of the other top end chronies, for sure. Just looks so much simplier and easier to use, plus it is a very compact unit. Time will tell, but you are correct, a lot of Labradar showing up for sale. Bill K :)
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

I have not seen the new chrony. Garmin is based in Kansas, about 40 miles from me. Their fishing graphs are excellent quality, my cousin has them.

Very cool shooting picture, and thankfully no one wants to move to Kansas. I love it, this can be my little secret. Its not all flat and treeless. I live in a very hilly, wooded, part with lots of ponds, resovors, rivers and creek. So stay away yuppies!!!
097.JPG
097.JPG (420.66 KiB) Viewed 28999 times

About a mile from my house.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

223.JPG
223.JPG (2.67 MiB) Viewed 28999 times

The road that goes past my house. My driveway is at the bottom on the right

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

LJ Badlands.jpg
LJ Badlands.jpg (974.01 KiB) Viewed 28999 times
20200919_201333.jpg
20200919_201333.jpg (6.05 MiB) Viewed 28999 times
These are in western Kansas, 200 miles from my house

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Deer.jpg
Deer.jpg (651.18 KiB) Viewed 28999 times

I have shot many deer but this one is my favorite. He was a mature buck, past his prime that many local people saw and never could shoot. I got him with a shot from my pre 64 model 70 in .30-06. He actually walked right behind the tree I was sitting in, I saw his tail flick out of the corner of my eye. I was covering a draw that fed into thick woods. When I saw him walk by I took the gun off safe and waited...and sure enough, he came right out where I hoped. He has a huge body. I would have liked to got him a couple years sooner, but I am happy with the memory of this hunt. His skull and rack is on the wall behind me. He mostly went into jerky and hamburger.

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Looks like you have a very nice area to hunt and roam in Tom. Also appears you have a variety of landscape, or are the rock formations from elsewhere ? I would guess and hope your area or within easy driving distance, so you can venture into these areas.
Yes, that is a very fine OLD buck and the manner in which you finally obtained him would have been very interesting and exciting also. One pleasure in our lives can be when a critter walks in when we least expect it.
And I like that part of the use of a fine old pre-64 rifle and in a grand old cartridge. Thanks for sharing. Bill K :)
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Just adding a few shots of my areas. Weather conditions out shooting. Taken over the last couple years, off and on. :)
102_4792.JPG
102_4792.JPG (1.16 MiB) Viewed 28997 times
102_4799.JPG
102_4799.JPG (1.27 MiB) Viewed 28997 times
20-223ai.JPG
20-223ai.JPG (1.25 MiB) Viewed 28997 times
101_0089.JPG
101_0089.JPG (1.24 MiB) Viewed 28997 times
600 pix.jpg
600 pix.jpg (89.04 KiB) Viewed 28997 times
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

TK, in the shot with all the Canada's, you don't say how many guys were hunting with you, but if you were alone, I'm quite sure that it's illegal in Kansas and about everywhere else in the country, that shooting 40+ Canada geese is way over the daily limit. :eek:

Glad you're happy with where you live. Most of us are, maybe with the exception of those unfortunate ones living in Kommiefornia. I'm happy as a clam living at 3,600' elevation on the high desert with alpine mountains at 10,000' on one side of town, and the vast expanse of high desert on the other stretching hundreds of miles in open, uninhabited country, full of mule deer, rocky mountain elk, pronghorn antelope, bear, cougar, chuckar, yadda, yadda.

A pic headed to one of my favorite spots to camp, fish, hike, mountain bike, and oh yeah, pristine hunting.....(That's a volcano mountain. Can you imagine the concussion of the erupting explosion when that thing blew about 12K years ago? Glad I wasn't there.):

One thing is certain in all this though, we're all truly fortunate to live here in God's country....the USA!

And TK.....Nice buck there, dude! :wtg:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Rick, a little detail about me....I NEVER knowingly break game laws. Waterfowlers get extra attention here. So yes, that was a crew of 7-8 guys that shot those with me. Our limit here is 4 per person per day BTW.
105.JPG
105.JPG (177.86 KiB) Viewed 28952 times

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

NE Kansas is a good snow goose flyway. During conservation order we are encouraged to kill as many as we can. This was my best day, we got 196 geese in one day.
019.JPG
019.JPG (694.61 KiB) Viewed 28952 times
Notice the knife in the foreground? 3 of us field dressed all of those geese in 65 minutes. WE have a system, and its ran like an assembly line. I took this picture right before we started. On a snow goose, we only keep and eat the breast in case you are wondering.

YES we did eat all of them!!!!! How? We took them to a processor who ground them into breakfast sausage and goose sticks. We gave a lot of it away to friends and family. I ate on those darn geese for over a year.

This was a good day but lots of work.

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

You guys all live in great places. I would love to hunt in the wide open sage brush

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

107 views on this thread and 3-4 people posting replys??? That is PATHETIC

John Maynard Keynes