Winter wonderland

Discussion about topics not related to hunting or the 204 Ruger.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: Winter wonderland

Post by skipper »

This is what I woke up to this morning. Not looking so good for Texas today. From the ERCOT website.

Forecast.jpg
Forecast.jpg (43.29 KiB) Viewed 20361 times
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
MTPaul
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Montana Varminter

Post by MTPaul »

Us folks "up north" are now warming up a bit. It was only -10F this morning and while snow is back in the forecast, nothing fell overnight...thankfully. After having lived in several states over the years and having experienced several major events in years past (hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, floods, prolonged power outages, etc.) I have come to realize sooner or later, doo-doo WILL hit the fan and while sometimes there is some forewarning of these events, often times it comes as a complete surprise. I'm of the mindset that it's better to BE PREPARED (Boy Scout motto) rather than kick myself after the fact.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Exactly Paul. Reason so many of us in my area, have good snowblowers, plows and good shovels plus a good generator to maintain some power for periods of power company services. "Be prepared and be comfortable. Also a good wood stove for warmth. :D
skipper

Post by skipper »

The fireplace in my living room has a gas log. Only problem is that the gas valve won't open without electricity. :wall:
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

We are up to 13 degrees, time to crack out the pina coladas and swim suites
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Then a nice fuzzy blanket on the floor and a sun lamp. :D
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Heat wave!
jan heat.png
jan heat.png (303.51 KiB) Viewed 17930 times
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
skipper

Post by skipper »

All is well here in Cypress, TX. No burst pipes, no power outages. Not a cloud in the sky, ducks are quacking, birds chirping. All is well. I have a few less plants now. My hibiscus is completely wilted and laying over, but it might make a reappearance in the spring. Purple fountain grass seems content and my Boston Fern spent the night inside. Agapanthus die every winter but the bulbs sprout each spring.

Everyone else Okay?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

All seems to be trying to return to 'normal' WX conditions, thankfully.

We went from -12* two nights ago, to 34* overnight last night. A nice warming band is coming in from the Pacific, and is moving east to bail all you guys out of the Arctic Zone soon. Right now we have blessed rain and wind melting almost two feet of snow, so now we'll deal with high water and street flooding with all the slush that makes for 'spirited' driving conditions. No burst pipes or any other tragedies here either, but we're used to the Arctic conditions every year and prepare well in advance. I hope all our forum buddies have fared well in this WX event that should be over soon.

Looks like we're all to be bailed out soon then. Now we can ponder an actual spring warmup, but there's always February...... :chin: We won't be warming up any rifle barrels any time soon. :?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

So far my winter is nothing like last years, with snow mainly. But I have seen some very high snow falls in Feb and even into early March. So there is still plenty of time for good snow to dump yet. But I am hoping for way less than I had last year. Time will tell. :D
MTPaul
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Montana Varminter

Post by MTPaul »

So far this year, the snowpack in the areas in SW MT I tend to frequent ranges from a low of 40% to a high of 58% of normal. In those areas of WY where I also visit it ranges from a low of 50% to a high of 74% of normal. Suffice it to say, we are trending below normal across much of the northern Rockies. But as Bill K. mentioned, the typically higher moisture laden snowfalls take place during the late winter, early spring timeframes (Mar-Apr) and all it will take is several back-to-back dumpers and we'll be in good shape going into the forest fire season. No need to panic yet, but time will tell...
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

We hit 32 for two hours today. Now it will return to the normal $hit show...we should be at like -6 Saturday night....

John Maynard Keynes
WesF
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by WesF »

We warmed up today, a balmy 14* for a high temperature in north central WI. It's back down to zero now & should drop to about -7* by morning. Forecast for the weekend is 30* and rain. If we don't like the weather, just wait a minute, it'll change. I'm glad we have equipment to deal with the snow we get during our winter!
Shoot straight & often.
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Here we go again-
2024-01-19_06-54.png
2024-01-19_06-54.png (332.01 KiB) Viewed 17343 times

John Maynard Keynes
skipper

Post by skipper »

Looks like we'll be back in shorts for a few days. Glad I didn't wash the truck.

Cypress 10 Day.jpg
Cypress 10 Day.jpg (205.29 KiB) Viewed 17338 times