Another "To the Lands" and Loads Question

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
MuleyTime
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Another "To the Lands" and Loads Question

Post by MuleyTime »

Looking for some insight.......

I just bought my first .204 which is in the Savage Predator model. I am in the load development stage and I was wondering about seating depth. I have found that my lands for the 35 gr Berger is 2.390 and for the 39 gr SBK is 2.435. My rifle only allows me to seat the Bergers out to 2.350 OAL without binding, so that's where I have it set. However, the rifle allows me to feed the 39 gr SBK's seated way out (at least 2.435), but I started at 2.40.

Now I have found some posts where people state that the .204 generally likes a jump to the lands, and I rarely see anyone listing their seating depth out past 2.350 (usually quite shorter). Is this mostly because of the magazine's size limits, or is it truly better to seat the bullets deeper? In fact most list a seating depth under 2.30 and that is pretty short relative to the potential of getting to the lands, at least for my rifle.

FYI.....I have tried Benchmark and Varget which both produce OK results. I have a lb of W748, but I am leaning toward purchasing a lb of Reloader 10X and try that next. I have also been using both BR4 primers and CCI 450....and not really seeing any difference between the two (groups, Velocity, ES, SD). By the way, my ES for this round is anyhwere from 50 - 75 and the SD has been between 21 and 33; which doesn't seem all that great.
Hawkeye Joe

Re: Another "To the Lands" and Loads Question

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I have the same rifle. And NONE of my Savage 204's liked the bullet close or into the lands. But, you need to try it because every rifle is different. 2.255-2.265 from tip to base with the 35 grain Bergers and Benchmark gives me the best accuracy in both my LRPV and Predator. I never did do much load development with my Predator. I just stepped up the ladder to 26.6 grains of Benchmark with the 35 Bergs. 26.6 shot a bug hole so I went with it. For off-hand rifle matches and shootin critters, it's been superb :!:
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Medic52
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Medic52 »

I am looking at trying some 40grs Sierra, anyone have a good load recommendation THANKS
" The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he LOVES what is behind him." G.K.Chesterton

REM 700 SPS Varmint Elite 6x24x40
LIFE MEMBER NRA
TROPHY LIFE MEMBER NAHC
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Muley

2.265 seems like the magic number in a Savage for 35 Bergs. I've never felt the need to deviate from it with 5 barrels.
Try Mikes load. If that does'nt fly work up to 29.2gns of W-748 with the 35's and the 450's.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
MuleyTime
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by MuleyTime »

Great. Thanks for the feedback. Will get back out and try those seating depths and loads as soon as the weather breaks.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

[quote="MuleyTime"]Looking for some insight.......
Now I have found some posts where people state that the .204 generally likes a jump to the lands, and I rarely see anyone listing their seating depth out past 2.350 (usually quite shorter). Is this mostly because of the magazine's size limits, or is it truly better to seat the bullets deeper? In fact most list a seating depth under 2.30 and that is pretty short relative to the potential of getting to the lands, at least for my rifle.
[quote]

I have two 204's, a Remingtom 700 VLSS Thumbhole and a CZ-527 American. I haven't done any reload work with the Remington but have with the CZ. In my CZ, there is almost .200 thousands of bullet jump from my OAL: 2.250 ( I believe the comparitor reading was 1.682 but I'm not sure). I use 39 SBK. Even if I wanted too, I don't feel I could seat a 39 SBK to the lands because with that much jump there just isn't enough bullet left to have good neck tension, IMO.

Whether a bullet likes to be close to the lands for optimum accuracy is a function of the bullet design. VLD (very-low-drag) bullets like to be close to the lands. LTB (lenght-tollerant-bullets) does-not have to be close to the lands for optimum accuracy. I've only tried 39 SBK & 40 H-VMAX bullets and I'm pretty sure that neither of these are VLD bullets. As time goes on and the 204 becomes more popular I wouldn't be surprised if VLD 204 bullets were introduced.

HTH
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by greystone »

Jim White wrote:
MuleyTime wrote:Looking for some insight.......

I have two 204's, a Remingtom 700 VLSS Thumbhole and a CZ-527 American. I haven't done any reload work with the Remington but have with the CZ. In my CZ, there is almost .200 thousands of bullet jump from my OAL: 2.250 ( I believe the comparitor reading was 1.682 but I'm not sure). I use 39 SBK. Even if I wanted too, I don't feel I could seat a 39 SBK to the lands because with that much jump there just isn't enough bullet left to have good neck tension, IMO.

Whether a bullet likes to be close to the lands for optimum accuracy is a function of the bullet design. VLD (very-low-drag) bullets like to be close to the lands. LTB (lenght-tollerant-bullets) does-not have to be close to the lands for optimum accuracy. I've only tried 39 SBK & 40 H-VMAX bullets and I'm pretty sure that neither of these are VLD bullets. As time goes on and the 204 becomes more popular I wouldn't be surprised if VLD 204 bullets were introduced.

HTH
Jim
What kind of accuracy are you getting with the 527. I might own one of these in the very near future. Dave
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Jim
What kind of accuracy are you getting with the 527. I might own one of these in the very near future. Dave
Dave, for now I've settled on

- 39 Sierra Ballistic King
- 27.0gr H4895
- Remington Brass
- Remington 71/2 primers
- OAL (end-to-end) 2.250 ( I don't reacll the "exact" comparito reading)

Consistently, I get groups under .300 moa @ 100 yards from 26.9 to 27.1 grains removing the inconsistencies of my Dillon Powder throw.

HTH

Jim