Cooper 21 bolt closure

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Jholt12
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper 21, 2x remington 700

Cooper 21 bolt closure

Post by Jholt12 »

Newbie here, been lurking for years finally decided to join. Lots of great info here. Anyways just got my first cooper model 21 walnut stock topped with vortex pst 6-24x50 ffp Moa reticle. Have only put 25 rds thru it slowly breaking it in. Way more cleaning then shooting thus far. Just curious if any other of the cooper guys on here have noticed a hard closure of the bolt their rifles when breaking them in. I have my test rds for load set well off the lands but some rds bolt closes nice others close real hard. All hornady brass full sized, trimmed to 1.84, all steps taken in brass prep. Some chamber nice other real hard just not sure if I need to break the new out of it yet or if I should be concerned.
bobbynelson
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: Cooper 21 bolt closure

Post by bobbynelson »

Im also new here and have recently became a cooper owner in 20 VT. I also noticed with a few of mine that the bolt was hard to close and I believe the shoulder was not being bumped back enough. I just adjusted my die for the others and all were smooth. Since fireforming all mine they now all close with hardly any effort. Not sure if this is your problem but figured I would throw it out there
Jholt12
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper 21, 2x remington 700

Post by Jholt12 »

Bobby Nelson, thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. After all it was my die needing a little adjustment. I was able to pick up some nosler brass that I will be dedicating to the cooper 204 only. Did some testing over the weekend and was able to get great results with imr 8208 xbr and Sierra 39's. Thanks again.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Yup, you got it. Also don't forget to put a thin coat of grease on the bolt when you clean it. I use Frog lube on my bolt. Gary