FLIERS ????

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Re: FLIERS ????

Post by TEXAS222 »

Thanks Jim. Jim D
toasty
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 16

Post by toasty »

Jim White wrote:I follow up with Sweets 7.62 to check for Copper. It also helps get the JB paste residue out. If the Copper is good I'll use Kroil or any fine liquid gun cleaner or oil and it comes right out.
I clean up with a light gun oil as well. I use montana extreme bore conditioner, but It probably doesn't matter. Will usually run 3 or 4 saturated patches through the bore and then a few dry ones.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

toasty...I'm sure both copper removers will work very effectively. I just happen to have several bottles of Sweets. Even after the JB and lead cloth treatment its rare that I have any copper signs but when I do it is very slight.
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Post by TEXAS222 »

Jim, toasty, thanks for the information. How many rounds do you guys normally get down your tube before a JB treatment? I know every gun barrel is different, but I was just curious on average round count. I think I might be cleaning my barrels too often, after every 30 rounds or so, using Carb-out then Butches or Bore Tech eliminator, clean patches, then Kroll or lock-ez, & I use nylon brushes. Thanks. Jim D
toasty
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 16

Post by toasty »

TEJAS JD wrote:Jim, toasty, thanks for the information. How many rounds do you guys normally get down your tube before a JB treatment? I know every gun barrel is different, but I was just curious on average round count. I think I might be cleaning my barrels too often, after every 30 rounds or so, using Carb-out then Butches or Bore Tech eliminator, clean patches, then Kroll or lock-ez, & I use nylon brushes. Thanks. Jim D
My 243 with a shilen barrel goes about 100 rounds before it needs to be cleaned and needs JB treatment every 300-400 rounds
My 204 with a factory barrel goes about 150-200 rounds before it needs to be cleaned and needs JB treatment every 800-1000 rounds

Not sure on some of my other guns, haven't shot enough to loose accuracy yet.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

In the field I clean;

- the 204's every 50 rounds with Shooters Choice/Kroil mix followed by Lock-Ez. It can go more but it takes longer to get out as rounds continue down the tube. This way, one application and about 3-patches and the patches come out clean.

- the 20VT & 221 FB gets the same regiment but after 100 rounds.

I don't JB mine that often unless they're just not cleaning up. My numbers would be along the line of toasty's with the 20 VT & 221 FB extended even further.
Hinter686
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 varmint Stainless

Post by Hinter686 »

fastfossil wrote:Thanks guys for all your replies. My computer has been down for a couple of days and this is the first chance I've had to get back. I'll be ordering me some JB paste and with a little luck I can get them alien critters outta here for good. On a side note: I always thought that with the T/C Dimension who could ever have a more free floating barrel than that. Well I got to looking a little closer and found the stock was touching just bellow the chamber on both sides. The wood rasp and some sand paper fixed that real quick. So I have made up some of my favorite loads and after "cleaning" the barrel I'm headed to the range, will let you all know what happens.
Thank again
How did you get on with this? Did all the advice solve your problem?
fastfossil
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Dimension

Post by fastfossil »

Well the problem with the dirty barrel is definitely solved. That J&B paste really works, I can truely say now that my barrel is CLEAN! I followed everybodys advice on how to work it a little at a time and we had her cleand up in no time. Got out my 243 barrel I had taken off the rifle which I thought I had clean before I put it up, well she sure wasnt clean, but now she is! NOW as for my inconsistent groupings I'm still having trouble. I hate to admit it but I think it's me and not my loads. Was out at the range the other night just about sundown. You know the perfect light you get at that time of day. The sun was behind me and the target was as clear as you could ask for, I thought now I'll burn a hole in the ole X ring. Well as I found out I can no longer shoot with both eyes open, AND when I focus on my target and bring the cross hairs into position my eye goes blurry, cant focus on the two at once like I used to. I do have a cataract in my left (aiming) eye. Have an appointment next week to see if its time to do something about it. I think it is. Have several friends who have had their cataracts removed and are very happy with the results. If it aint one thing its another. In the mean time Im still determined I can work this out. Its not stopping me from whackin coyotes and this little 204 does a great job of that. My 35 gr. berger loads put them down hard.
Again thanks to all who helpd with advice. I'll let you know if the doc. can make me see again.