Better powder dispenser

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
janesy
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 sps

Better powder dispenser

Post by janesy »

I'm using the LEE one that came with my kit. It is acturate about 80% ot the time. With a larger load it would not be a big deal, but with my 204, that .1 grain makes a big difference. I don't really trust it too much to do any bulk reloading, I'm finding myself loadfing .2 grain low and topping up to my desired load to avoid over charging. I don't feel comfortable enough to just dump the loads and go.

Does anyone have a better option, without breaking the bank.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Better powder dispenser

Post by Bill K »

If do not mind spending the money, I hear that RCBS and SmartLoader, both have auto/charge master type loaders that are accurate.
I, personally, still measure each load ( I know slow and all) on a scale, but that way I know exactly what I have. I am in no hurry to reload, so it works for me, even with larger amounts. Just my opinion and way of doing it. Bill K
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

I do the same as Bill. The one thing I did add is the Dandy Omega electric powder trickler. May sound goofy but, it really works well. Faster and better control than my manual unit. No more "do-overs"! Sinclair has them on their website if you want to check it out.
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

I use the Hornady Lock n Load powder measure and like Bill and Ramos I measure every charge, except when I'm using CFE223 which has become my favorite powder. It's so fine and meters so well almost every charge is identicle to .1 of a grain. It really speeds up reloading when you don't have to adjust every single charge.
Shamu25
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint in .204

Post by Shamu25 »

I use the RCBS with Benchmark and find it always drops within .1 or less....I check my drops with an electronic scale and use and RCBS manual scale for backup. So far very happy with the results
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

I use a Lyman DPS 3 powder dispensor,for all loading,but especially for high volume loading.I seat the bullet after each charge,and it goes right into my range box,thus eliminating loading blocks.For a manual measure,I would opt for a Harrels.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Thanks guys!

Unfortunately an electric isn't in the budget, and really I don't mind measuring each unit. It's just that this LEE dispenser seems to be all over the map.
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I use the RCBS Chargemaster 1500 and love it. I wore one out and RCBS gave me a good price on a replacement dispenser. If your looking for a manual powder dispenser, the Dillon dispenser is probably the most accurate, at least in my experience and heard on line.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
janesy

Post by janesy »

I'll have to check out the dillon one then. Thanks everyone.
Promapper
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 204 24" on Bushmaster lower with Luepold 8.5-20x40

Post by Promapper »

RCBS Chargemaster. a bit slower perhaps but nails the charge every time.
Joe McCarthy (Republican senator from Wisconsin (1947–57) WAS RIGHT ! And no one listened. NOW LOOK WHAT WE GOT !
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_McCarthy
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

janesy wrote:I'm using the LEE one that came with my kit. It is acturate about 80% ot the time. With a larger load it would not be a big deal, but with my 204, that .1 grain makes a big difference. I don't really trust it too much to do any bulk reloading, I'm finding myself loadfing .2 grain low and topping up to my desired load to avoid over charging. I don't feel comfortable enough to just dump the loads and go.

Does anyone have a better option, without breaking the bank.
There are a few things to remember here, first is that many don't understand VOLUME and powder life.
Volume and weight are very much inter-related, but not the same thing for a very good reason.
Another thing that most people seem to ignore(not pointed any fingers, just stating) is that MOST folks use scales that are "accurate to .1 -.2gr". The problem that gets "over-looked" is the variablility in those cheap scales. Notice when you Zero it, remove the pan, and replace it. The pan weight varies at that .1-.2 almost constantly. So are you REALLY dead-nutz-on?? No. .1-.2 is "normal".

Also, powder density varies, and water content varies with time/age. The powder is constantly giveing off, and taking in atmospheric variables. If it wasn't "giving-off" you would smell NOTHING when you open the container. While dispensing by VOLUME, the weight may well vary slightly, and it is fine. If the VOLUME is consistent, the specific weight variance is irrelevant. Over time, and as lot variations/changes happen and powder ages; Volume provides a much more consistent pressure variable, than specific weight does. Either is safe, but pressure changes are less with volume. No one container of powder is EXACTLY the same throughout the container.

The CC numbers on the PPM may or may not scale exactly, and that should be accounted for.
The way you do that is this(also available from Lee's website, with much more detail; FAQ section)

Volume setting(CC's on PPM) / weight of the charge = VMD factor
So if you set your PPM to 2CC's and the actual weight is 29.5gr then your VMD factor is: 0.067796610169

So if you are looking to dispense 40gr of that powder: 40 * .067796610169 = 2.71186cc is what you should set your PPM for. Meaning that powder, at that time has 14.75 grains per CC. That is a typical(perhaps slightly light) range for GD's ball powder from St. Marks.

Volume and Weight are definitly connected, but ARE NOT the same animal. As with all things DO NOT start at a max charge. To the calc's for your powder, then work-up in volume. Minor variations are accounted for by burn rates and specific densities. Lee's books are filled with "Buy Lee" promotions, HOWEVER there is some VERY good and helpful information on the "Volume Vs. Weight" issue in there.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

However, just as "cheap" scales do not measure weight consistently, some powder measures do not allow the material to fill the volume consistently. So, respectfully, while the above is technically correct, it has limited value in practice. If you are serious about consistency, a good measure will make it easier for your good scale to do its' job. At least, that is my opinion.
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

Neither way is wrong, or un-safe, so to each his own definitely!

Unless there is a specific issue(static problem, etc), you can't just "check the weight" of your volume dispensed. Because of the variability in burning rate/density, the same volume will always weight somewhat differently. That is why the volume method is technically more consistent in terms of pressures.
The issue of "weight varying", doesn't MEAN the volume is varying. Now it CAN be varying, but doesn't mean it does; for the reasons listed above/previously. Stick powders(particularly long ones) can be problematic & can lead to stick cutting, which CAN lead to a whole other set of problems. One of the reasons you should calibrate your volume dispenser as Lee directs, just as you would calibrate your scale.

An example to explain it better(maybe?), is think about making bread.
Just like smokeless powder, we buy flour in Pounds. But when you make bread, you are using Volume(cups) NOT weight. If you take a sack of whole wheat flour, measure out the bag with your cups. Even though the volume is always the same, the weight of each cup of flour will vary some. Also just like smokeless, the variations in weight will change with the seasons, typically due to the humidity changes.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

Like I said, TECHNICALLY, you are correct. Volume is more accurate. However, we would have to assume that the metering chamber fills exactly the same, every time. Problem is, we can't see in there. May be more of an issue for me since everything I use is "stick", the finest being RL10X and H4198. The worst, on my shelf is IMR4831. My belief is, with these particular powders, the scales (Ohaus M5) will offer more uniform results. Not trying to be an arse, just explaining myself. No doubt, your method works as well.
janesy

Post by janesy »

I'm using a Lyman 1000 scale. Zero'd with the pan, it weighs in a 114.4 GR. I do not use it if it is zero'd at .3 or .5. I re zero until it is .4 Every time if required.

I understand completely, and agree Darkker, However if one charge drops at 24.5 an then the next at 24.9, then I really doubt it's the volume vs weight. More likely the until is not dispensing equal volumes each time. Wether my fault or the dispensers, it makes for a slow process. If it were to drop less each time, I wouldn't care, in fact I don't mind trickling to my exact load, but it's a pain to have to remove .3 GR, to have to trickle back up each time