Finally lucked out on a load.

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
janesy
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 sps

Finally lucked out on a load.

Post by janesy »

I went out last weekend to test out some loads for the 37gr CRT. No real luck yet, but they were initial loads so I have a starting point.

But after they were gone I thought for shats I would just test out a couple loads I slapped together in the spring and never got around to testing. I was having trouble getting the 39Gr SBK's to group all that well, and on someone on this sites advice, I replicated a factory loaded federal cartridge. Basically copied the length. Then I proceeded to do nothing with them.

Well Hells bells! first three round group goes into the same hole. Second is a bit more open and the third has two in the same hole and one 1/4" below. I can't believe this is the same gun! 1/4" groups?!? and the only difference was loading the bullet to 2.265 from 2.30. I had written of the SBK for good.

Here's the loads.

39GN SBK
24.7 GN RL10X
REM 7.5 BR
WW Brass. Necksized from the bag.

Hopefully I can duplicate the results after neck sizing the brass again(now once fired).

Last edited by janesy on Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
janesy

Re: Finally lucked out on a load.

Post by janesy »

at 100Y, I should add, from a sandbag
Zeus
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Pro hunter and Remington SPS

Post by Zeus »

Very nice shooting.....Try some 5 shot groups too and let us know how they turn out.
janesy

Post by janesy »

I will as soon as i can. These groups were one after another, no rest in between. 10 shot box mag on my 700. So hopefully they stay together for 5.

I'm so happy. this is my first really good "Home made" load.
Sth Oz Dan
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye

Post by Sth Oz Dan »

Congratulations mate. It's what we all aim for - smaller groups. And to do it with a load you'd all but written off is a bonus. Lucky you had the load data recorded.
tpcollins
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Lite

Post by tpcollins »

That's interesting. I've been keeping mine around the 2.250" mark. Maybe if I moved it out some I could get the 39gr SBK to shoot a bit better, right now my Tikka only likes 32gr. I went and loaded 4 empty cases at 2.300" and they will fit in the magazine barely. If I could find someone with a verticle mill I'd like to have about .030" or so gnawed off the inside front of the mag - I'd feel a bit better that way.
janesy

Post by janesy »

I worked off of this...(see drawing) as well as a federal factory loaded round. But I find the SBK's OAL to be all over the map anyhow, so I settled at 2.265 (aiming for 2.26)Image