winchester brass

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
magnum
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: winchester brass

Post by magnum »

Darkker wrote:Albeit took him 2 posts to actually say, he wanted to know why Winny brass was "harder" than Nosler brass.
Informing him and apparently you, about who actually builds what, with marketing goals(quality) didn't directly address the question???

I'm glad you know how to reload, and enjoy it. Knowing a little bit about the components that you use, will help you stay safe...

Remember the lot variations when Hodgdon stopped sourcing 4198 from General Dynamics, and switched to Thales a few years back?
I do, and they didn't fall under the "ehhhh, whatever" category of component changes.
my name is IAN just incase you missed it
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

If I post a question about "Winchester" brass, should I refer to it as "the Brass Formerly Knows as Winchester"? Is a Toyota made in America a Japanese car or an American car? This thread is so confusing...will the real Winchester brass please step forward!
K = ½mv2
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Darkker, this is not heading in a good direction. To answer your last question, knowing who made the brass is meaningless if you don't know the specs of that particular order. I am glad that you are glad that I know how to reload. I am glad that you find joy in what you know. I will, however, stick to my guns. Answering a question with TRUE information like you did, does not necessarily provide use full help.

And, Ian
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

Ian, did not mean to leave you hanging on my last post. I am stuck on the wrong coast in a work required training. Using the wife's tablet and learning to use it on the fly. Just wanted to say sorry if I mucked up your request for information. If you really feel the brass is on the hard side, no harm can come from a proper annealing and, it may alleviate the problem. I have been happy with mine. My prep includes uniforming primer pockets, deburring flash holes, sizing, weight sorting and fire forming. After the first firing, I trim to length and sort by weight. I ended up with two batches with a difference in weight of a maximum plus or minus .2 grains of zero. Should have mentioned that I debut case mouths wit a VLD tool. I do anneal after every 4th or 5th firing and have never felt the brass was hard to work.

I really need a regular keyboard for my thumbs!!!
magnum

Post by magnum »

RAMOS wrote:Ian, did not mean to leave you hanging on my last post. I am stuck on the wrong coast in a work required training. Using the wife's tablet and learning to use it on the fly. Just wanted to say sorry if I mucked up your request for information. If you really feel the brass is on the hard side, no harm can come from a proper annealing and, it may alleviate the problem. I have been happy with mine. My prep includes uniforming primer pockets, deburring flash holes, sizing, weight sorting and fire forming. After the first firing, I trim to length and sort by weight. I ended up with two batches with a difference in weight of a maximum plus or minus .2 grains of zero. Should have mentioned that I debut case mouths wit a VLD tool. I do anneal after every 4th or 5th firing and have never felt the brass was hard to work.

I really need a regular keyboard for my thumbs!!!
It,s fine would like any one to jump in with any info as long as it helps (like i put in the post it just seemed a bit harder to me ) i do not go as far as you by the looks of things (case prep ) i kown the brass will get work hard after a few firing but this was new brass ? should have put this in post :doh: still not been out and shoot any off !! but having a day out foxing fingers crossed will let you know how i get on spend a bit of time with new brass? as you can tell i,m not best on the keyboad myself (just started reloading small case 204 find it harder to do a year back tryed to stop a tablesaw with my left hand THE ONLY GOOD THING WAS I GOT 17 WEEKS OFF WORK :doh: :doh: so i find it a bit fiddly) just used bigger 1s till then (243) but i do love my 204 now took a bit of time with it !!! but got there in the end :D IAN
204cat
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 700 sps in 204ruger

Post by 204cat »

fwiw i like info in the thread even if i had read it before or forgotten what i read a long time ago. had not purchased brass since 2006 i think. started looking again in 2010. there has not been any 204 winchester brass in the local shops since 2010. not sure if that is just this shop or true of all shops. even the gun show i went to over the week end had no 204 brass. i am wondering if the market is quietly abandoning the 204 ? and wondering if i should just start purchasing norma ?
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

Ian, holy crap-a-doodle! Human flesh never wins an argument with a power tool. I have tested it several times but, never to that degree. Hope the long healing process came out well.

204cat, I suspect you would be quite happy with the Norma brass. Have no personal experience with it. However, those who use it, sure seem to like it. If you want WW, try a Google search. Every time I have bought it, I have had to order it. Of course, in my area, sporting goods stores are few, far between and offer very little breadth in what they stock.
magnum

Post by magnum »

RAMOS wrote:Ian, holy crap-a-doodle! Human flesh never wins an argument with a power tool. I have tested it several times but, never to that degree. Hope the long healing process came out well.

204cat, I suspect you would be quite happy with the Norma brass. Have no personal experience with it. However, those who use it, sure seem to like it. If you want WW, try a Google search. Every time I have bought it, I have had to order it. Of course, in my area, sporting goods stores are few, far between and offer very little breadth in what they stock.
yes all healed up nice had 2.5 hour opp to stick it back together got 80% movement and feeling back but when it cold it a blooded killer well not bad going after 30 years working with them like you said i was allways going to come out 2nd best!!!
204cat

Post by 204cat »

thank you ramos . but if i understood that correctly i already am using norma brass. olin gets it from nosler and nosler get it from norma .

magnum .... paws not for stopping circular saw blades....
magnum

Post by magnum »

204cat wrote:thank you ramos . but if i understood that correctly i already am using norma brass. olin gets it from nosler and nosler get it from norma .

magnum .... paws not for stopping circular saw blades....
yes i know found that out it didn,t even slow it down :huh:
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

Sorry, 204cat. I got turned around as to who was using what in this thread. Norma/Nosler on head stamp=same/same.
204cat

Post by 204cat »

no problem just as long as we shoot straight. is norma the only one that makes 204 brass anymore ? what happened to remmy brass ?
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

Sinclair Int. shows Norma, Nosler, Remmy, WW and Hornady brass. However, only the Norma & Nosler are on-hand. At least, according to their website.
inKYfromSD
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 varmint .204, Cooper Model 21 20 VarTarg

Post by inKYfromSD »

Midway has Rem, Nosler, and Hornady brass. I have no idea where all the Win went (cough). :roll:
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

Winchester brass has become available in my stores (Cabela's & Sportsmans Warehouse) FWIW
K = ½mv2