winchester brass

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
magnum
.204 Ruger Guns: none

winchester brass

Post by magnum »

just reloaded some winchester brass but it seem,s a lot harder than the the brass i,v been using has any one else had this :?: ian
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Re: winchester brass

Post by RAMOS »

New brass, old brass? What have you been using?
magnum

Post by magnum »

RAMOS wrote:New brass, old brass? What have you been using?
just got some new winchester brass (bag of 100) it just seems hard ?? so resize some and it was a lot harder to do? ian (for got to put in nosler brass is whot i,v been using)
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

The only brass I've ever used has been Hornady and Winchester, and I've found that the Hornady was much harder than the Win and much more prone to split necks.
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

I have not had any problems with WW brass. Being new it should not be ready to anneal but, may be worth a try. Although I have no experience w/ Nosler brass, I know it is very highly regarded for its' quality/consistency. Sorry I can't be of more help.
magnum

Post by magnum »

thanks lads it load just fine not shot any yet? it,s seemed to me to be harder thats why i resized 10 just in case (this is when it took a bit more grunt to resize) will fire a few off and see how i go
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

....ppppsssstttt......pppppssssstttt........
Winchester hasn't made brass since 2007

Nosler also makes no brass, that's Norma.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.
magnum

Post by magnum »

Darkker wrote:....ppppsssstttt......pppppssssstttt........
Winchester hasn't made brass since 2007

Nosler also makes no brass, that's Norma.
the bag the brass came in has got winchester on it :?: :?: and the brass has winchester on the base :?: :?:
magnum

Post by magnum »

Darkker

Post by Darkker »

Yes, thank you for the link, now use it to call and have a conversation.
Nosler buys brass with their name on it, from Norma, like I said.
Winchester, who it seems can F*^k-up a wet dream, ALSO BUYS their branded products from others.

Here is what you missed from the business section of the newspaper:
- Olin(winchester) sold their brass cartridge business in 2007 to Global Brass partners(KPS is the holding Co.).
- Somewhere around 2002-ish, they sold their last gun powder plant, to Defense contracting Giant, General Dynamics. Who builds "Winnie" branded, and ALL Hodgdon ball powder.

They are nothing more than another reseller, who collects royalties on their name-sake at this point.
It seems that Winnie's specific model is to use the cheapest source of products..... So expect crap consistency.
magnum

Post by magnum »

Darkker wrote:Yes, thank you for the link, now use it to call and have a conversation.
Nosler buys brass with their name on it, from Norma, like I said.
Winchester, who it seems can F*^k-up a wet dream, ALSO BUYS their branded products from others.

Here is what you missed from the business section of the newspaper:
- Olin(winchester) sold their brass cartridge business in 2007 to Global Brass partners(KPS is the holding Co.).
- Somewhere around 2002-ish, they sold their last gun powder plant, to Defense contracting Giant, General Dynamics. Who builds "Winnie" branded, and ALL Hodgdon ball powder.

They are nothing more than another reseller, who collects royalties on their name-sake at this point.
It seems that Winnie's specific model is to use the cheapest source of products..... So expect crap consistency.
like the post said that i put up its was winchester on the brass and nosler on the brass i was using i,m not 1 for looking in any business section,s of any newpaper,s !! i don,t mind who makes whot it was to find out if any one else found it hard the brass marked winchester!!!! that i had found hard or was it just me but i do thank you for all the info ian
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

Seems to me that the OP had a question pertaining to the reloading room and not some board room on Wall Street. I would suspect all brass is manufactured to meet the specs of the company it is being branded for. I don't have a link to prove it, just what I believe to be the case (pun). So, Mr. Darkker, what brass should we be using?
Darkker

Post by Darkker »

The point isn't to understand WHICH you should use, the point is understanding WHAT you are using.
Winchester HAD a reputation for consistent brass, back when they made it. That is no longer the case, and they have had 2 different sources that I'm aware of, since the sale.

They buy Least-Cost, and re-sell only. Does that mean that their products are all all junk?? No, but you need to understand what you are buying. LEAST-COST-RE-SELLING, and premier quality, don't belong in the same sentence. THAT is the lesson to be learned.
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

With all due respect, I never put those two terms/words in the same sentence. The last WW brass I purchased was in 2010. It received a full prep and has been great. I threw away two pieces out of the bag. That is right in-line with my past experiences since 1980. I know others have had less luck and, still others have had the same luck as I have. I am not bragging up WW brass, I know it is typical run of the mill stuff. Just being grumpy, did not feel your response directly addressed the OP's question. That coupled with the remark about exactly what lesson I/we need to learn. Give me a break, been doing this for quite some time. Even with whatever changes have happened in the market place, I don't have any problems putting together accurate, consistent ammunition. Best of luck and happy hunting.
Darkker

Post by Darkker »

Albeit took him 2 posts to actually say, he wanted to know why Winny brass was "harder" than Nosler brass.
Informing him and apparently you, about who actually builds what, with marketing goals(quality) didn't directly address the question???

I'm glad you know how to reload, and enjoy it. Knowing a little bit about the components that you use, will help you stay safe...

Remember the lot variations when Hodgdon stopped sourcing 4198 from General Dynamics, and switched to Thales a few years back?
I do, and they didn't fall under the "ehhhh, whatever" category of component changes.