starting to reload .204 have a few ?'s

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
bigborefan
.204 Ruger Guns: savage

starting to reload .204 have a few ?'s

Post by bigborefan »

Hello,
I have had my Savage predator for a few years now and have been very happy with the Federal 39 bk load. I can get under .5 MOA on a good day. Im down to my last box and decided to start loading my own to try and duplicate the Fed ammo. I'm not new to reloading but this will be my first go at "precision" reloading. I've always used Lee dies with good results for pistol and the two rifles I load for (.30 carbine and .223). My first question is what brand/type die will give me the best results without spending a small fortune on them? I have a good pile of brass that was shot in my rifle so I plan on neck sizing if that matters. Of course I plan on starting with 39gr sbk but would also like to try some Berger's. Any thoughts on powder types? Thanks in advance for all your help.
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Re: starting to reload .204 have a few ?'s

Post by Bodei »

I have the Lee neck die for .204 and it works just fine. Lots of good powders for .204, check out the pet loads thread. I am switching to CFE223, was using H335 with success. I haven't tried the Bergers, pretty much stick with the Z-max 32 grainers.
K = ½mv2
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

A Lee neck die should work.Prep that Federal Brass,including flash hole deburr,primer pocket uniforming,trimming(minimum,only enough to square up the mouth)deburring,and champher the inside/outside, of the neck.I have a couple dozen federal cases that have 12 loadings and still useable.A sinclair chamber length gage is inexpensive and will give you the length of your chamber for trim length.You'll find that most factory chambers are very long,and won't require triming cases,If your chamber measures shorter than most,trim your cases .010 under that measurement.The 39SBK is awsome in the savage 204. and most guns.,2.350 OAL works for my LRPV.I recently switched one of my 204s, a Ruger K1V to the Nosler 32gr tipped varmagedon,with great results.I use IMR8208XBR for all loads in my 204s mainly for, no temp sensitivity,plus it loads well.I do use a neck bushing,bump shoulder die,and bump the shoulder back .0015 +/- .0005.When the brass chambers a little tight,I run them through a redding Body die.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

The Lee neck sizing die, in my humble opinion is an excellent die. I use them on 204, and 223 with great results. As for the dies go, most here will recommend Redding dies, and I have to agree with them. The only Lee die I do use, is their collet neck sizing die. This is the only Lee die that I own.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
bigborefan

Post by bigborefan »

Thanks for the replies. So a Lee neck sizing die and Redding seater die is the ticket. Is the regular seating die ok? Does the comp die make a difference? I'm going to assume that no crimp is needed, right? I crimp my 223 but thats for an auto loader.Do the shoulders get bumped every loading or just when necessary and what die is used to bump the shoulder. I'm typing this on my phone so sorry the way it came out. :D
bang bang
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage m10 max1

Post by bang bang »

+1 on IMR 8208 powder. I use RCBS comp bullet seating die. Can't beat the window you drop the bullet in, saves you from pinching fat finger tips. I full length resize due to shooting an AR platform. Also I reload on the HOT side, Rem 7 1/2 primers work great for me. Good luck!
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

Redding bushing dies all the way!
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

I may be a little biased but i would recommend Redding as well. I use Redding dies for all my personal rifles and we are also a dealer of their products. If you would like to be able to neck size as well as full length size when needed I would recommend the Redding 204 Ruger deluxe die set. It includes a full length, neck, and seat die. Also as Joe noted above it would be a good idea to get case prep tools. I would recommend the Redding primer pocket uniformer, a 20 caliber flash hole debur tool, and a VLD case mouth chamfer tool.

Brad
bigborefan

Post by bigborefan »

I have most of the prep tools except the flash hole tool. I'll add that to my list. The Redding deluxe set dose seem to be the best deal.

Can someone explain the whole bumping the shoulder thing? I know what it is I just don't know when it needs to be done and how/what tool to do it with. Thanks again for all the help.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

An alternative for a window seating die is made by Bob Gremmell of Dayton Wa.

http://www.gmwvickerman.com/.

Call Sinclair and talk to a Tech about a camparator with bullet and shoulder inserts for the 204.The shoulder gage it what will give you the measurement you need to bump the shoulder back.You take a fired case from the rifle you will load for,and measure the length from base to shoulder,then size the case in your die;FL,NK,bump shoulder neck die,or body die,makes no difference as far as shoulder bump.Measure the case untill you have reduced the fired measurement by .001-.002max.try chambering in your gun.You should have very little resistance when closing the bolt.You may need to cam over the press lever to get enough bump,but start with the shell holder just touching the die.If you don't get enough bump after caming over,you will need to reduce the thickness of your shell holder(other options are sets of shell holders in .001 increments,by redding).Ask questions.Board members have been there ,done that.
Predator1
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Predator1 »

I would buy the Lee collet die myself and then buy the Forster full length die set. You can buy the Collet die buy itself. This way you can just neck size with the collet die and then when you need to bump the shoulder you have the F/L die in the Forster set. Personally, I am beginning to see and experience that Redding is over rated.
wirelessguy2005

I am curious to hear why you think Redding is over rated?
Predator1 wrote:I would buy the Lee collet die myself and then buy the Forster full length die set. You can buy the Collet die buy itself. This way you can just neck size with the collet die and then when you need to bump the shoulder you have the F/L die in the Forster set. Personally, I am beginning to see and experience that Redding is over rated.
Predator1
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Predator1 »

Maybe I should of said overpriced. I have 2 sets of redding dies and and I will tell you right now. I can load the same loads on a set of $28 Lee dies and the rifle shoots the same. I just personally think that Redding charges alot more for a product that is not superior, and I'm not saying Lee is as good even tho I used them as an example. I find the Forsters to be as good for less.
trevort
.204 Ruger Guns: stiller predator, lilja no 5 1 in 12

Post by trevort »

I shot LRBR for short time (at a mediocre level). Bushing neck dies and sleeved seaters are manadatory for thoes guys so I took my analness to my varmint rifles. Forster's sleeved seater is as good as reddings and cheaper. I have both. Some of the guys that used to be on here had the knowledge and equipment to measure runout and would have a valid opinion if one was better than other. I dont.

I use the redding bushing neck dies with expander ball removed exclusively. Brass stretch is almost non existent, bumping shoulders or FLS is also largely redundant in my rifles. Maybe I am not loading hot enough (is there an evil twisted smile emoticon on here?)

Sorry forgot about powder. ADI 2206h is the go to powder for 204s here. I cant remember the name hodgdon put on the label when they import it from Oz but I am sure its easy to find. I think it might have been 4895 but please check that
wirelessguy2005

There are many differences between Lee dies and Redding. One of the big differences is the fact that Redding makes all their equipment on American made machinery, with American Made Steel, and its all built in America. That alone is enough reason in my humble opinion to support them. I can gurantee you that Lee dies don't meet that criteria. I will say that there is nothing wrong with Lee dies, they make good products that are affordable and a good starting point for entry level reloaders that have a limited budget. That being said Lee dies don't hold near the tight tolerance that Redding dies are held to. I am willing to bet that you won't find Lee die sets used by any of the competitive shooters. Many of them are using Redding dies while some of them are using Forster. There is most likely a good reason they are using Redding and Forster over others.
Predator1 wrote:Maybe I should of said overpriced. I have 2 sets of redding dies and and I will tell you right now. I can load the same loads on a set of $28 Lee dies and the rifle shoots the same. I just personally think that Redding charges alot more for a product that is not superior, and I'm not saying Lee is as good even tho I used them as an example. I find the Forsters to be as good for less.