32gr - V-Max vs Varmagrddon

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Spar
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Stainless 204

Post by Spar »

Hi guys,
About to start developing a 32gr load for my 204, I was considering these two different projectiles and was wondering if anyone had experience with one or both. Seems they both have the same co-efficient, so just wondering about accuracy and stopping power on game like foxs and roos. Mostly it will be just used for rabbits and foxes at ranges out to 250m.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: 32gr - V-Max vs Varmagrddon

Post by Bill K »

From what I can tell with them in my 17 & 20 cal (20 VT) they should work in other cal's and your rifle, just fine. Bill K
Spar

Post by Spar »

Thanks Bill, just working out if it is worth spending the extra $7/100 on the v-max over the varmageddon
boomer84
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 sps varmint

Post by boomer84 »

For foxes and bunnies they are perfect! Varmmageddons seem to explode and splinter like a shot gun and I find Vmax seem to hold together a little more. For kangas I wouldn't use any less than 39's !

Boomer
Spar

Post by Spar »

I got a nearly full box of 40gr V-max but the guy i was speaking to at the gun shop seems to think they wont stabilize in the 204 with the 1/12...Will be trying them this weekend.
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

Spar wrote:I got a nearly full box of 40gr V-max but the guy i was speaking to at the gun shop seems to think they wont stabilize in the 204 with the 1/12....
If the 40s wont stabilize try the 39gr Sierra BKs - if you can find them. From what I've read most 1 in 12 twist barrels that wont stabilize 40s have no trouble shooting the 39 gr BKs.
boomer84

Post by boomer84 »

I have a Remington SPS varmint and it loves 40gn nosler ballistic tips but I haven't tried the 40gn Vmax's so I'm afraid I can't be much help them. Some where on here a while ago a video was posted and it was a tikka shooting 40gn noslers out to incredible distances with unreal groups! If I can find it ill post it!!!

Boomer
boomer84

Post by boomer84 »

Spar

Post by Spar »

Yeah saw that one on youtube a while ago, pretty crazy. I pick up the gun tomorrow so i will load some ammo tomorrow and try it out friday. Got some leftover Varm grenades and a box of v max 40's. So until i can get my hands on the 32gr these will have to do. Lets hope the 40gr shoot :)

Also found a store with a load of varmageddon in stock (not many places have it and there is heaps on backorder). Will put an order in for that but don't think i will have it ready for this weekend
boomer84

Post by boomer84 »

Best of luck cobber!!

Boomer
tbates
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1 Sporter

Post by tbates »

You didn't ask about any other bullets, but thought I would offer this anyway. I shoot Sierra 32gr BKs with excellent results. P-dogs explode when I hit them dead center and the fly 10 ft when I hit them low. Plus they are the most accurate bullet I have tried. I bought a bunch back when they were readily available and cheaper.
Spar

Post by Spar »

I just got the order of 200 vermageddons to try so will be test loading this week using ADI 8208. I had a tub of 40gr v max and varmit grenades, got them both loaded up as well at the moment and both shooting under half a inch... Can't complain.

Also got a box of 39gr TNT Speer projectiles, don't know why i did cause the have a crap co-efficient but they shoot well and give good results out of my sako 222 and my 308 as well so though i could give them a chance. Will do on roos and fox's to 200 quite well.

Thanks for the help!
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Let us know what you think, after comparing, etc. Have a good time. Bill K :)
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Post by broper »

The 32 gr. v-max was accurate in my .204 but the Varmageddon was super accurate. With 28 gr. BLC(2) I got three shot groups that measured as small as .169. That's not a hot load but I always work my way up. I've shot up to 30 gr. with no signs of high pressure. I've had real good luck with BLC(2) in my .204.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Generally speaking, a flat-based bullet is usually more accurate than a boat-tail design, all other things being equal. If you look at all the BR records set, virtually ALL were shot with flat-based bullets.

The boat-tail design is great for LR shooting past 300 yards, which is about where the boat-tail feature comes into play by reducing drag. Inside of 300 yards however, the BT feature is a moot point, and is just a feature that allows easier bullet seating. It's also been said that a flat-based bullet is easier on the crown by virture of less gas-cutting, but I'm not aware of any tests that actually prove that theory.

Me? I just load up whatever bullet my particular rifle likes in the weight range and tip design I want, and call it good. Try 'em all, settle on what works. It's not really that hard. (When you can actually BUY the freakin' things! :eek: )
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails