1st shoot, NOT so flat trajectory ?!

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Re: 1st shoot, NOT so flat trajectory ?!

Post by broper »

Splash is when a bullet blows up on the surface of an animal and doesn't penetrate. Leaves a big red splotch and the animal usually gets away wounded.
247sniper
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom .204 Ruger !

Post by 247sniper »

broper wrote:Splash is when a bullet blows up on the surface of an animal and doesn't penetrate. Leaves a big red splotch and the animal usually gets away wounded.
O right, thanks for that.

I really cant see how the 39SBK would SPLASH on a animal and the 32's dont. Especially at 204 velocities. I would suspect more that the bullet went stright through the target/animal and did not hit any bone causing NONE expansion and just penciled stright through it resulting in a wounded animal.

I have noticed on ranbits and hare etc, some times the 39SBK'S will completely blow them apart, if they hit a rib or the likes, but if the bullet misses all bone then the entry and exit wound is hard to find.

Jusy cant see how the 39 SBK'S at 3700ftps+ with over 1000ftlb would splash and the faster lighter 32's dont.

Steve.
bang bang
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage m10 max1

Post by bang bang »

DPMS 24" BBL 1x12 twist, IMR 8208 Max charge, mix brass, Rem 7 1/2 primers and 35gr Berger. 100yd zero, 200yd is 3/4" low, 300yd is 8" low and 400yd is 18" low. Do not start at this load, it is a max charge per reloading manual. Hope this helps, good luck.
Last edited by bang bang on Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Steve, have no doubt about "splashes" and 39gr SBK's. Quite common on coyotes when hit in the shoulder blade. I bet the 32gr V-Max would do the same, just never tried them on "non-rodent" sized targets. For coyotes, badger and kitties, I switched over to the 35gr Berger HP's and have been very pleased. That being said, I still try to hit them BEHIND the shoulder.
TrapperDan
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 204,cz 527 american 204

Post by TrapperDan »

I agree with Ramos on the splashing on coyotes .I’ve had it happen with all of the plastic tipped 32’s 39’s & 40’s.especially when I hit them high on the back in the thick heavy mane area. Leaves a 3-4 inch entrance hole and copper fragments in the hair. I have never had it happen with 34 or 35 grain hollow pts. They seem to be less explosive :chin: . Dan
Wolves . ISIS of the animal world
broper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 sps

Post by broper »

I've definately had splashes on badgers with the 30 gr. Sierra and saw a buddy get a splash on a coyote with the same bullet. He has gone to the 35 gr. Berger for coyotes and is having real good success with it. lots of one shot kills and not much fur damage. I've shot a few badgers with the 32gr. Varmageddon and it puts them down good. Just a bullet size entrance with no exit.
Bob
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

Moto,
I have to call BS on that one. What you have described is not possible. Sand bag yourself into a good solid bench and shoot that rifle at a paper target at known ranges. If you still have those results, I suggest you read the label on your rifle box and check the cartridges because you must be shooting heavy bullets in a 223.
BillyTee
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 varmint

Post by BillyTee »

Motoshooter wrote:Maybe I try that next time. If zeroed at 200 I guess its gona be 3" high at 100yds, at least according to my first test of bullet drop. Right?
Wrong !
Just sight your rifle to have the point of impact 1" high at 100 yards.
You will be amazed how flat that rifle shoots!
247sniper
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom .204 Ruger !

Post by 247sniper »

BillyTee wrote:
Motoshooter wrote:Maybe I try that next time. If zeroed at 200 I guess its gona be 3" high at 100yds, at least according to my first test of bullet drop. Right?
Wrong !
Just sight your rifle to have the point of impact 1" high at 100 yards.
You will be amazed how flat that rifle shoots!

Like I said earlier, My rifle is zeroed at 200 and it is spot on at 100. If zeroed at 100 it is also spot on at 200 yards, and it is not a hot load ! ;)

Steve