26 gr Barnes Varmint Grenade

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Great White North
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3

26 gr Barnes Varmint Grenade

Post by Great White North »

The store had a bunch of these in stock and they were a really good price. I worked up a bunch of loads to test. The weather was less than perfect with crazy winds but I decided to test them anyway. They grouped very well considering the wind. The best group was with 27.5gr of H322 zipping along at 4200 on the Chrony.

I wanted to see real world performance so I loaded up some rounds and went out to the rat patch.

Are they as explosive at the 32gr variety? I still haven't decided but they do work well.

On the plus side the store I got them from had about 40 bags of Winchester .204 brass on the shelf!
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Re: 26 gr Barnes Varmint Grenade

Post by Hedge »

Don't have pics and wish I'd taken a video of what happened a few days ago.
I came out my back door and saw 2 stripers standing upright about 4" apart. I wanted to try a double with a single shot but couldn't maneuver without them diving for cover. Figured what the heck and lined up on the left one. That 26gr. VG went zipping into him and both peeled off in opposite directions. What was left of each of them was about 3 feet apart. Both were shredded. Talk about varmint "grenade"!
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Re: 26 gr Barnes Varmint Grenade

Post by RAMOS »

Very cool! Bet they would be fun in a 20VT, as well.