Stupid question - consistency vs accuracy?

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
sevensandeights
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Stupid question - consistency vs accuracy?

Post by sevensandeights »

I know the difference between consistency and accuracy but I have a question about how much variability there should be between these two when using different bullets. Consider this scenario that just occurred in my back yard:

A friend of mine made up some hand loads for my bone stock .204 Ruger Remington 700 VTR (22" barrel but last 1.5" is muzzle break): 39gr Sierra Blitzkings with 24 grains of H322 in once fired Hornady brass from my gun. My gun loves factor 32gr Hornady's and hates pretty much everything else. I put up a target at 100 yards and aimed dead center but the hand loads were all over the place. After 8 rounds, I stopped and went back to my 32's to make sure the scope was on and made some small adjustments. With the 32s and the scope adjusted I was shooting accurately (hitting the bull's eye) and consistently (just under 1" groups). I switched back to the hand loads and shot this group:

All the hits to the right are from the hand loads. This has been my experience with 39 and 40 grain bullets - decent groups and a 20% rate of really wild fliers. I decided to fire one last shot with a 32 just to keep myself honest and that is the bull's eye hit. All of these shots were fired aiming at the bull's eye. So, I have 2 questions:

1.) Excluding the 2 fliers, there is a decent 4 shot group (consistency) but it is not at all accurate (1" down and to the right of bull's eye). Why would these 2 bullets differ that much at 100yards in terms of accuracy?

2.) Why won't my gun shoot 39grain Blitzkings when these bullets are specifically marketed to be used in 1 in 12 twist barrels?
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Stupid question - consistency vs accuracy?

Post by Bill K »

I go for a accurate load first and foremost. If it is good and accurate, then it should remain consistent. When I have a load that keeps a accurate group and I know I am holding and doing everything correct. Then adjust your scope/sight to keep putting that load at the bullseye or maybe 1/2 inch high. Why does your gun not like a certain bullet, when it is designed for such twist, etc. that is the nature of the beast. your gun, for what ever reason i.e. bedding, barrel harmonics, etc. may just not shoot it, but some where there is a bullet near that, that it will. Just will take some time to find it. Part of the fun we have making out weapons run like we want. Just keep plugging away. slow and safe. Bill K :)
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Right on, Bill. Keep in mind that the hand loads were in no way "tuned" to your' rifle. You could be 2/10ths of a grain or a seating depth adjustment away from an awesome load.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Accuracy is a loads potential to group accurately. Wether it shoots to the same point of impact as another load is irrelevant. That's why there's adjustments on the scopes:)

Consistency is a loads ability to produce the same size groups repeatedly day after day without unexplained fliers. Of course a particular load can be consistently inaccurate and full of fliers.

My experience with the 39 bk is similar to what you,ve seen. I've never once shot a bk in competition because no matter how accurate some of the shots are I find inconsistent fliers. Many others claim to have great luck with them. Good luck to you.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I think you are a little anxious about your particular rifle. There are too many variables involved here. I agree with Bill completely. You need to put in the time involved, if you want to make your rifle a shooter. Some rifles are shooters right out of the box and some not so much. Did you take the time to "break-in" the barrel? I suggest you try a few different powders and charges, if you can find some. Some I can personally recommend would be Benchmark, RE10x, and H4895. Take a look at the top of this site, and look at what other members are using. And read the post by JO191145.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Btw and fwiw there's no such thing as a stupid question when your hobby is igniting small amounts of gunpowder in front of your face ;)

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
sevensandeights
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by sevensandeights »

Thanks for the replies. I used to be very anxious about my rifle until I gave up trying to shoot anything other than factory 32 grain Hornady's - it shoots these accurately and consistently!

I just thought it was weird that the single 32 grain was right on the bull's eye (single shot I realize) but the group of 39's was down an inch and to the right an inch.

I would love to work up some hand loads to really dial in my gun but unfortunately I don't reload (yet :D ) - I was trying a box of hand loads that a friend made.
dead meat
.204 Ruger Guns: tikka t3

Post by dead meat »

In my T3 and a sps varmint Hornady factory ammo was a bust, more like a pattern than a group. I haven't had good luck with hornady bullets either and prefere SBK's in both rifles. I use Hornady bullets in pretty much every other cartridge i load but haven't had any luck in the 20 caliber. As for consistency vs accuracy usually a consistent velocity load will be accurate, a load that has large differences in velocity isn't likely to be as accurate.