WINTER TEST LOADS/SPRING DOG SHOOT

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
ALP
.204 Ruger Guns: rem.700

WINTER TEST LOADS/SPRING DOG SHOOT

Post by ALP »

Just got my 204 put together finaly,and ready to work up a pet load.Problem is the weather is getting cold.although I might work up a good load now in cold weather,whats it going to do in the spring when the weather is 30 degrees warmer? I want to make my loads up over the winter (600 hundred rds) Is there a way I compensate for the temp. change. :huh:
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: WINTER TEST LOADS/SPRING DOG SHOOT

Post by Bill K »

ALP. I shoot 29.3 grains of CFE223 with the 32 grain bullets year round in my 204 R. This load ( In my rifle) works from my temps that vary from summer into the 90's to the low's in winter of minus 10.. No problem and they group under one inch all the time. This is in my rifle, may not be for yours, so start lower and work up. The max by my books show 30 grains for the 32's and 29 for the 40's. So you will want to go from below that in your rifle with this powder. Hope that helps you some, for starters. Bill K :)
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Also, temperature sensitivity varies greatly from powder to powder. Big issue with some, little or no issue with others. You can also keep your ammo in a cooler, out of direct sunlight when in the field.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I try to get most of my reloading done in the late fall and into winter, when the temps around here can get very cold, and I don't have a lot going on. Good time to catch up on a lot of things. I do load with some powders that are not temp sensitive, and a couple powders that I know are not listed as not temp sensitive. I had to learn my lesson while shooting in temps over 85*. Since then, if I shoot in warm to hot temps, I always keep my ammo in an ice chest in the shade, and some times even on ice. Since using this method, I have never had a problem shooting in the "Heat" Just keep aware of the temps, and keep checking that barrel while shooting. Higher temps mean the barrel will get hot a lot sooner. I start shooting "Skippy" as early as February and until the alfalfa gets too high to see my targets, usually until mid June. I go thru 100 to maybe 300 rounds a day, and some times more, using 3 different rifles. What I am trying to say, is, I would go ahead with your reloading, but just be aware of the heat issue and plan for it. Best of luck with your future hunt!
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
ALP
.204 Ruger Guns: rem.700

Post by ALP »

Thanks for the info guys,The powers I use are Benchmark and RL10X. I know BM is ok in the warm weather but I don't know about 10x
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

ALP: I shoot all my 204's right alongside Futuretrades (AKA Kevin, that's my rifle/bench in the background) and also use primarily RL-10X with both the 32's and the 39/40's in the heat in N. Calif during our rat shoots. Even in temps as high as 96* there, I've not had any real issues with either powder in any of my 204's, and we shoot ALOT of rats with those rifles, as much as 400 rounds a day.

Here's a shot of Kevin shooting his 204 in the heat with the proven "wet towel" method of keeping his barrel cool.....just another trick we use to save those spendy custom barrels. ;)

Just use common sense, keep checking your barrel for heat, and if you can't hold your hand on it due to heat.....then she's way too hot and stop shooting till she cools down.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

32dgrz
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage

Post by 32dgrz »

This is one of the reasons I decided to work up 8208
From their website
IMR 8208 XBR The latest in the versatile IMR line of fine propellants, this accurate metering, super short grained extruded rifle powder was designed expressly for match, varmint, and AR sniper cartridges. Ideally suited for cartridges like the 223 Remington/5.56mm, 308 Winchester/7.62mm NATO and the 6mm PPC, shooters will find IMR 8208 XBR totally insensitive to changes in temperature, while yielding max velocities and “tack driving” accuracy. Clearly, the competitor’s “choice” and the Varmint Hunter’s “dream powder”.

Best 100 yard group

300 Yard Group