brass different brands

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
varmit_master
.204 Ruger Guns: TC 204

brass different brands

Post by varmit_master »

Hi I bought 111 once fired brass it was should have been Winchester 204 but 10 brass are Remington 204. Loading for coyote hunting will it hurt to mix the to if I stay around mid not going to max.. I do it in my 223 and 22 250 it don't hurt but I didn't know about the 204.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: brass different brands

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Most experienced handloaders never mix brands or different lots of brass with the same load.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

As Rick noted its not a good idea. Even if you are running mid loads you will at the very least find accuracy differences between the two different cases due to different internal volume's affecting pressure and ultimately velocity. I would say its best to set the Rem brass aside and save it for something else.
varmit_master

Post by varmit_master »

I only have 10. Wished I could find someone that had both Remington and Winchester I would trade 10 for 6. I don't have any but 10 rem. I do have a new box of nosler brass 204 thinking about selling.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

varmit_master wrote:I do have a new box of nosler brass 204 thinking about selling.
IMHO, If you already have the Nosler brass, why worry about a few R-P brass? I do agree with both RIO and wirelessguy2005. I have a tendency to mix brands of brass in my 223, but in my 204 I only use RP brass. I can't remember ever finding 204 brass on the ground, but before the shortages hit, I could count on finding plenty of 223 brass where I shoot for fun and work up my loads. So I reloaded whatever brass I picked up. As long as the cases were brass, I picked up every thing I found on the ground. Last year, I sold about 1500 pieces of 223 brass and got enough money to pay for the Dillon progressive press, I am using for loading for my 38.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

I learned the hard way that brass from different manufacturers for the same caliber is NOT interchangeable so I would stick with one brand only.
I had been using the same load of R10X in brass by Remington, Winchester and Hornady for years with never a problem. I made the mistake of trying it in Nosler brass and the sh*t hit the fan big time. Blown out primers, ejector marks, angry handloader. If I were you I would use what I had the most of. If that's the Nosler I would recommend using only Nosler's load data. For some powders I use their max load data is lower than the powder manufacturer's max and you don't want to repeat my experience.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

With only ten cases, of which you are talking, just use it. A few reloads and it will most likely go into the brass pile. Use the one's you have the most of and then the Nosler.. Keep that Nosler brass, unless you need the money, for later use, as the win wears out. Just a thought. Bill K
Smash
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom Built AR15

Post by Smash »

Or...you can send that crappy Nosler brass to me. I'll take care of it for you! :D JK....use the Nosler stuff. I never mix and match brass unless it's for pistol plinking. Accuracy is about consistency. Different brands of brass may be harder or softer, thicker case walls, etc etc. Like was mentioned above, that's going to affect pressure, which is going to affect velocity. I'd load up some test loads in all three just to see if they shoot any different. Probably the Nosler is going to be your best brass though.
varmit_master

Post by varmit_master »

I do have 200 new Winchester and 115 once fired brass all Winchester. Should I weigh each case and keep them in order or just shoot them. Bought it to use on fox and cats. But after watching some predators DVDs I like the 204 little more for coyotes. The nosler brass I got a deal on it. I was going to buy another box so I would have a 100 until I got on line looking at the prices. I put it up for now. Before I got any brass my wife came home with 5 boxes of Winchester 34 gr HP factory ammo she's the best. I am going to shoot it up first. I won't shoot it much only to sight it in then at fur. I have 2 22 250's the tikka t3 has less than 40 rds down the barrel. I just don't like wasting ammo.
tuck2

Post by tuck2 »

The once fired brass shot in an other rifle, if dirty should first be cleaned in a tumbler, if not full size the cases. Then trim the cases to the some length but not under the listed length . De burr the case mouth inside and out, de burr inside the case flash hole , then cut the primer pocket to the same depth. If you have ball Mik check the thickness of the brass neck , could be turned to only cut off the high spots. The last step is to Separate the cases into groups of 20 each by Weight and Brand. Some of the above may not be necessary but is does not take that much time to do them for used or once fired 100 ea brass . Each rifle chamber is a bit different so try neck sizing on following reloads which may extend the life of the case. I started reloading ammo in 1953 and like to buy at least 100 each brass for each firearm I have then number each box of 20 each so that I can keep track of the number of times reloaded and each component used for each lot of 100 ea ammo.
varmit_master

Post by varmit_master »

I have mixed it in a 223 and 22 250. I will use the win brass thinking about selling the nosler if I don't find another 50 ct some time.