Little Help With RCBS Competition Seating Die

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
jcinnb
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Little Help With RCBS Competition Seating Die

Post by jcinnb »

Recently got a CZ 527 Varmint in .204. So fired up about it, I got a RCBS Competition Seating Die. I read the instructions and got started.

Here is the issue, I am now loading Berger 35s. I would say that 5 of 6 bullets seat perfectly. But, consistently a bullet gets misaligned or jammed when I place it in the die's window. The first time this happened, I just kept going and smashed/deformed the bullet that fortunately did not seat. Since then, at the first sign of resistance I lower the case and loosen the bullet. So far lowering bullet and working it lose has worked.

I have tried putting the bullet in the window as soon as case engages, midway up, and as high as I can move the holder and still get the bullet in the window.

Is there an easy fix? Am I doing something stupid? Whatever is going on appears subtle.

Any ideas appreciated greatly.
Nor Cal Mikie
.204 Ruger Guns: None. Had a 16" barreled rear grip SP that was WAY too wild.

Re: Little Help With RCBS Competition Seating Die

Post by Nor Cal Mikie »

My guess is it's the nature of the beast. And the smaller bullets don't help either. I've run into the same issue at times. Little finger tip inserted into the loading window to straighten out the alignment of the bullet.
Bigger caliber bullets like 30s seem to work better and I think it's due to the weight? I "drop" the bullet in the window and they seem to slide thru better.
There's a BIG difference between a 150 grain .308 bullet and the little 20s at 35 grains.
I use nothing but the RCBS Compitition seaters on everythiung I load. Go slow and don't let it get to you. Been there, done that and worked thru it.
My next venture will be with the 17 calibers and I can anticipate problems already. I'll just have to deal with it.
Much better than crushing your finger tips while seating with a standard seater. (done that too!) Double check the slide and make sure it's smooth inside. Could also be a deformed bullet base from shipping? One out of 5 or 6 ain't bad!
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

IMHO, Nor Cal Mikie, has diagnosed the problem. I do believe the weight of the bullet has more to do with the problem, than some would believe. I did go so far as to polish the inside of the floating alignment sleeve and use some graphite on the inside of the sleeve. This did help to some extent, but the problem was still there. :huh: I have just learned to be vigilant, and pay attention to the process. If you ever find an easy fix for the problem, keep us informed.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Lead Lobber
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Mark II Target Barrel Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40

Post by Lead Lobber »

I use the same die set up for my .204 and I have never had a problem. However I only shoot 40 grain bullets and the long body may help with the alignment.

If it was me, I would probably use my drimmel tool and polish the throat of the die. There may be a burr or something fouling you up.....
Nor Cal Mikie

Post by Nor Cal Mikie »

Start the case on the upstroke then "drop" ther bullet in the slide. Maybe the extra distance (not that much with the lighter bullets) will help? I think you made a good choice with the Comp seaters. I love all of mine.
I pick up used ones when I can find them and swap internal parts to get to the caliber and shape on the round I'am working with.
From 20 VT on up to .308 and a few in between like 22, 6mm, 6.8 BR Wildcat, 6.8 SPC, etc. I prefer the older styles with the "click" indent in the Micro Top but those are few and far between.
And if you ever run into problems with the VLD type bullets sticking in the seater stem, you can drill the hole deeper and solve "that" problem. ;)
Lead Lobber
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Mark II Target Barrel Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40

Post by Lead Lobber »

I got to thinking about your problem again, the 35s are a flat base bullet correct? Are you chamfering your brass? If you are loading up new brass and haven't trimmed or chamfered the inside, you will probably smash a few........ And you will have quite a bit of inconsistency in accuracy.
jcinnb

Post by jcinnb »

I do chamfer and debur all cases. I put close to a hundred through this morning. I was dropping the bullets in, 26s this morning, then I would reach my big ol fat finger in and make sure the bullet would move. Never had a problem when I had a little "play" in the bullet.

Several times the bullet was jammed on the initial drop. I had no problem using the tip of my finger to "un jam" the bullet. Only had two bullets start to fail but got them out.

I think it is just experience and patience.

Thanks for the thoughtful responses.
ClaimJumper
.204 Ruger Guns: 3 custom .204's,22-250ai, 5-223, 6br Norma, Savage builds

Post by ClaimJumper »

Been there done that, get a 22cal bronze brush and chuck it in a drill. Run it in and out of the seater die with JB bore paste on it. Problem solved.

Retired Timber faller
jcinnb

Post by jcinnb »

ClaimJumper wrote:Been there done that, get a 22cal bronze brush and chuck it in a drill. Run it in and out of the seater die with JB bore paste on it. Problem solved.
I am dim as a burned out 5 watt bulb.

What part of the die? The "seating section" at the top, or the little piece that moves up and down, that the bullet is dropped in to, or both. Thanks for suggestion, I will do so once I am sure what to do.

Thanks
Nor Cal Mikie

Post by Nor Cal Mikie »

It's the sleve that moves up and down that the bullet drops into. It rests on top of the case as it's raised up with the ram. If you're only having problems with one out of five or six bullets, I would be more inclined to think it's a "single" bullet that may be causing the problem. Wouldn't hurt to get a "close" look at the sleve, just in case. ;)
With boat tail bullets, you probably wouldn't see that same problem. Being longer, the boat tail would try to center in the sleve more than a flat base bullet.
Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie on Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
jcinnb

Post by jcinnb »

Thank you very much.