anybody know about RE-15 ?

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

anybody know about RE-15 ?

Post by cshooter »

Hey fellas, I'm probably out of the loop here but I have a good 204 load that uses RE-15 and I can't find anymore of it. Anywhere ! My local reloading supply shop has had some on order for me for almost a year. He told me it shows it's " unavailable" and has been for some time. Both Scheels, Gander Moun't, and Cabelas say the same thing. Does anybody know if they are still makeing it ? I heard that they had a fire at the place where they make it. Hmmm. Well, I know that there are alot of things not available these days so maybe I can get it later. Is there any other powder that can substitute for it. Is Win 748 close to it ? Well, I was just curious if anybody out there knew anything. Thanks for any help. :wall:
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Re: anybody know about RE-15 ?

Post by futuretrades »

IMHO, RE15 is a little slow for smaller cartridges like the 204. My preferred load for the 39gr SBK's is RE10x. On the other hand looking at my burn rate chart, Win 748 is just a tad slower. Other powders in that range include Varget, BL-C(2), and CFE223. Good luck finding any powder now.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Agree with Kevin above.....RL-15 much too slow for good velocity in the 204R, as it's the same burn rate as IMR-4320 (I use that in my .338-06AI). There are much better powders suited for the 204, but in faster burn rates.

In the Alliant line of powders, RL-12 has the same burn rate as H335, TAC and W748, and would be much better suited to this cartridge, but most 204 shooters I know swear by RL-10X......my personal favorite too and "three notches" faster burn rate than RL-15.

To get both excellent accuracy AND speed in this cartridge, you must use suitable powders with the correct burn rate. You'll find that by ditching RL-15, your speed will increase with good accuracy by going with a faster powder more suited to the 204R case.

Alliant powder is made in Sweden....my industry powder source guru knows nothing about a fire in that plant........ :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Sorry; Rick & Keven but I have to disagree with both of you WRT RL-15. It has worked very well for me in all three of my 204's; and I've tried the following powders; Varget, RL-10x, Benchmark, H4895, IMR8208XBR and it provides better speed and accuracy than any of those. 8208 is the fastest but not the most accuracy. H4895 is just as accurate but just a mite slower. The next closest in speed and accuracy was RL10x but it is about as obsecure as RL-15. Your mileage may vary.

I know...can't explain it but this has been over several test with my 204's.

Yes, they still make RL-15; although it has been tough to find because the Highpower Rifle shooters have started subsituting it for Varget, which has become very difficult to find. The same for the Vihtavouri powders too and certain Winchester powders as well. It is out there, I just scored 20 lbs of it, so keep looking. Ohhh; 20 lbs may sound like a lot but I have 308's, 223's, 204's and 30.06 that all like it.

Never tried any ball powders in this caliber but I hear H335 works well as do some of the Accurate line of powders.

HTH,

Jim
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jim, we agree to disagree then, as when I tried RL-15 in my early tests back in '06, it gave disappointing results, both in accuracy and velocity. That was in my Sako 75V, then the same results two years later in my M700. Guess it just proves every rifle is a rule unto itself. I know we can both agree on that one.

I suppose different lot numbers/burning rates could also enter into it here also; who knows. If it works, use it, and if it works well, it's icing on the cake. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Jim, we agree to disagree then, as when I tried RL-15 in my early tests back in '06, it gave disappointing results, both in accuracy and velocity. That was in my Sako 75V, then the same results two years later in my M700. Guess it just proves every rifle is a rule unto itself. I know we can both agree on that one.

I suppose different lot numbers/burning rates could also enter into it here also; who knows. If it works, use it, and if it works well, it's icing on the cake. :D
Speaking of burn rates, where RL-15 falls out on a burn chart is directly tied to who produced the chart; so I often wonder where some of these powders actually fit in. Like H4895, RL-15 works in a lot of cases; however I did like RL-10X it's just that I had so much RL-15 at the time I just stuck with it.

WRT to Alliant Powders, I've wondered how the "Power Pro" series is working out since it seems that all Reloder flavors are usually out of stock these days.
brassloader
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 LVSF

Post by brassloader »

Widener's recently had RE-15 in stock.Check their website.
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

Post by cshooter »

Yea I guess every rifle is a law unto itself. I got my hands on a Ruger Hawkeye Predator here a while back and the Hornady Manual I have said that for top velocity and accuracy (according to them), with the 45gr Hornady SP bullet that I like because it's tough on bigger varmints, in the Ruger rifle they tested it in, that they had good results with the slower powders, IE RE-15 and so on. So I had a 1/2 pound and tried it and I got 3630 fps with 1/2" groups, so I stuck with it and it works. Then when my 1/2 pound was gone. I tried a few other powders with that bullet but I either got too much pressure, or the accuracy stunk. So I'll keep looking for RE-15 and use my original load. I did get some 748 from a buddy, and the velocity was good, but not as accurate. Oh well. Thanks a bunch fellas. :?
DoubleUp
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger

Post by DoubleUp »

I've had real good results shooting AR-Comp in two 204's. Has done really well with 39 sbk's, 40 vmax, 40 berger, and 35 berger. Accuracy is good, velocity is good, and ES is good. I haven't tried it much with 32's yet as I usually shoot 8208 with them and also with the 35 bergers. AR-Comp is supposed to be a more temp stable reformulation of RL-15. It appears to run a little faster than Varget and more like H4895 or IMR 8208 in my rifles. Grain size is a little smaller than H4895 and a little larger than 8208.
varmit_master
.204 Ruger Guns: TC 204

Post by varmit_master »

Hi shooter do u live around Arkansas. I bought some to try in my 22 250. I haven't tried it yet. I had 8 PDS let a buddy have 2 PDS he got a new 308 and wanted to try it. I can get RL10 RL15 . I can let 2 PDS go. I use RL19 in my 280 and 25/06 traded some varget for some. I seen some loads for the 204 and RL15.
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

Fwiw: I just bought some RL 15 last week at a LGS; they had plenty. Planning on trying it for my .243, however. I use RL 10 for .204.....