Nosler vs Hornady brass

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
boomer68
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VSSF

Nosler vs Hornady brass

Post by boomer68 »

So, is it worth the extra cost to use Nosler brass?
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Re: Nosler vs Hornady brass

Post by RAMOS »

JMO but, I think it's worth almost any price NOT to use Hornaday brass. Love their bullets, just don't care for their brass.
zx10mike
.204 Ruger Guns: TIKKA T3 VARMINT

Post by zx10mike »

no i bought nosler at 1 pound a piece in the uk and the primer pockets were very very tight and when i first opened the box and looked at them i found coils of trimmings inside the brass .if i would have done what the box says just load and shoot i would have had some fun.it is good once sorted but not worth the extra.
all that said i just picked up some winchester brass and could not believe the shape of the flash holes. got 100 for 20 quid mind so i'll sort it.
TwentyBore
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV

Post by TwentyBore »

Hornady brass, with no work other than sizing and measuring, keeps five shot groups in the .4's for me. Better brass may shave a little off of that, but I doubt that it would shave much.

A casual observation of the flash holes showed them to be impressively circular, burr-free, and uniform. I haven't weighed the cases.
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

My major complaint with Hornady brass is that it seems to work harden very quickly and is prone to split necks. Once I started annealing the brass on a regular basis I haven't had those problems.
boomer68
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VSSF

Nosler vs Hornady brass

Post by boomer68 »

Ok, so how does R-P and W-W brass compare?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TwentyBore
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV

Post by TwentyBore »

Tokimini wrote:My major complaint with Hornady brass is that it seems to work harden very quickly and is prone to split necks. Once I started annealing the brass on a regular basis I haven't had those problems.
Out of curiosity, how many firings are you talking about?

I haven't had any split on me yet, but I'm only up to 4 firings on my Hornady brass.
Tokimini
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS with a Shilen barrel

Post by Tokimini »

TwentyBore wrote:
Tokimini wrote:My major complaint with Hornady brass is that it seems to work harden very quickly and is prone to split necks. Once I started annealing the brass on a regular basis I haven't had those problems.
Out of curiosity, how many firings are you talking about?

I haven't had any split on me yet, but I'm only up to 4 firings on my Hornady brass.

To be honest I've lost count, probably 5 or 6 before I started annealing and just as many or more after. It really makes a difference.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Last year, we got my youngest son a 7mm-08. Brass (locally) was nonexistent. We bought a box of Superformance factory loads to get started with. THREE split necks on the original firing, straight out of the box. Pretty frustrating when all we really wanted was some useable brass. Primer pockets took forever to uniform as well. This year, he has a box of brand new Nosler brass waiting in the wings. My experience might be due to an isolated bad batch of brass but, it was bad enough to last me.
MZ5
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye Predator

Post by MZ5 »

Those are the sorts of brass failures I had with some Win WSSM factory ammo a few years ago. Extremely frustrating. I wish the factories weren't in a position that such things were 'acceptable.' I've also experienced a measurable difference between Hornady Creedmoor loaded-ammo brass vs ye component brass. Not sure whether that's on purpose or not, but it was real. Now I'm shooting pretty well only component brass, so maybe that was also an isolated difference.

On 204 brass, I've been very pleased with my R-P brass. Haven't been able to get any more for better than a year, though, so I have a box of Nosler brass now, too. It seems very good-quality, but I haven't fired it much.
varmit_master
.204 Ruger Guns: TC 204

Post by varmit_master »

I will not use hornady brass of any kind. Love hornady bullets the brass is bad!!!
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

varmit_master wrote:I will not use hornady brass of any kind. Love hornady bullets the brass is bad!!!
Apparently I am one of the fortunate one's :) I have had no problems with the Hornady brass. Bill K
Last edited by Bill K on Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
K22

Post by K22 »

Bill K wrote:
varmit_master wrote:I will not use hornady brass of any kind. Love hornady bullets the brass is bad!!!
Apparently I am one of the fortunate one's :) I have had not problems with the Hornady brass. Bill K

Apparently there are at least 2 of us. I even bought some well used Hornady brass and it has done very well for me. Remington brass also has been good. Not to fond of the Federal brass though.
ClaimJumper
.204 Ruger Guns: 3 custom .204's,22-250ai, 5-223, 6br Norma, Savage builds

Post by ClaimJumper »

Why not get the best?

Midsouth had Norma brass for 58$ per hundred. I just got 500 for next year.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/i ... _100_Count_

Hornady is in stock at some spots, but I have not seen Rem or Win anywhere this year.

Retired Timber faller