TO CRIMP AR 204 AMMO OR NOT???

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

TO CRIMP AR 204 AMMO OR NOT???

Post by TEXAS222 »

Hello, I just got through building my AR 204 using Seekins, Black Rain, Magpul, Geisselle, & a White Oak Armory 1-10 match barrel. It's a heavy rig I'll be using for bench rest & not loading over 5 rounds at a time. I want to shoot 35 Bergers. My question is do I need to crimp the ammo for this gun? I neck sized my new brass & the bullets loaded very easy, not loose but not tight either. I use Forster dies so if I need to crimp I'll buy the Lee crimp die. Any & all thoughts on the subject would be appreciated. Thanks,
Jim D
Texas
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Re: TO CRIMP AR 204 AMMO OR NOT???

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I used Forster dies and could crimp with them? I would use as little crimp as needed so that the bullet does not move in the case. I went to a Redding S type resizing die.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

Without sounding smart I have shot many thousands of rounds (223), through several ARs. Unless one is particularly fickle, I've never had a "need" to crimp. Tested with, and without. Never had any set-back.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.
fastfossil
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Dimension

Post by fastfossil »

I fooled around with crimping a while back with the Lee factory crimper. The reason I did was because I noticed several different factory ammo was crimped. Some like the Rem. accu tips have a heavy (bullet deforming) crimp in them and they shoot lights out. Was thinking this must be for a more consistant pressure. Any way after SEVERAL loads worked up and sent down range, I havent found the need to crimp! I have two pet loads now one sierras 39s and one berger 35s, both have given me excellent performance and allways shoot dead on. Like you I thought they just seated to easy. I have tryed very hard to push--pull them in or out by hand and can not move them.

Hope this helps.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

I toyed with crimping many years ago. Actually found improved accuracy by doing it.
Here's why I recommend you don't. As a handloader your obviously reusing your brass. Crimping will work your case mouths dramatically. This causes hardening. You may find an accurate load but you'll also end up chasing your tail trying to keep it accurate as your brass changes quickly.

The roll crimp method requires exacting lengths in the brass. You'll find your constantly trimming and readjusting your roll crimp. No fun.
The Lee crimper does lots of damage to the brass. Just fine for military ammo that lays in the mud. Not something an accuracy minded benchrester needs to add to the variables.
Save some time and money. Don't do it.
If you need extra grip there are better methods.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .