Bullet weight

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
53eldorado
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger American Predator

Bullet weight

Post by 53eldorado »

Rookie reloader slowly getting ready to load my first 100 .204. I was cleaning and checking my used beam scale tonight. Got it to zero well and consistently re-zeros each time I replace the pan. I do not have a calibration weight yet so I tried measuring one of the bullets. My 32 grain Hornady v-max weighs 31.6 grains. Is this normal or should I suspect the scale? Thanks
Highcountry
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger m77 v/t

Re: Bullet weight

Post by Highcountry »

I'm leaning towards the scale. I use an electronic scale, the old beam scale got to be a pain in the butt. My 32 gr v-max weigh in at 32 with an occasional 31.9. I would segregate any that aren't on the money any and shoot those in their own group. I've found that my groups will change with that slight variation in bullet weight.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

If you can't beg, borrow or steal (not recommended) a bona fide check weight, grab your bullet and head to town. A lab, pharmacy or dentist office should be able to weigh it for you in grams or milligrams. Ask them NOT to round the weight off. One gram=15.4324 grains.
53eldorado

Post by 53eldorado »

Thanks guys. I am not going to do any loading until I know the scale is good. Looking for check weights now.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Love my beam scales! What one are you using? Make sure your knife edges and bearings are squeaky clean. I use Q-Tips and starting fluid. Using a loupe is a handy way to inspect the knife edges for burrs and dings.
53eldorado

Post by 53eldorado »

I've got an older Hornady scale made by Pacific. I went to a friends house today to have him measure some of my bullets. His RCBS digital scale was within 0.1 of what mine measured. He then checked some of his bullets to see how close they were to listed weight. Some were right on some were off by 0.3 grains.

One of his 230 grain .45 cal bullets weighed exactly 230 grains so I borrowed it from him to check my scale. Low and behold it weighs 230 grains on my scale too and it's repeatable. I think I'm good. Thanks everyone.