H4895 V IRM4895

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
brooksb
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M12 FV

H4895 V IRM4895

Post by brooksb »

I am about to start loading for the 204 and looked at the powders in your favorite loads against my inventory, BL-C (2) seemed the favorite, then H4895, Benchmark and RL10x, I have both of the top 2. IMR4895 is only 2 powders faster than Hodgen 4895 with BL-C(2)13 powders slower and Benchmark is 9 faster and RL10x 13. I'm wondering why no one seems to be using the IMR 4895. Point being I have lots of the IMR, and not so much of BL-C(2), is there any reason members believe the IMR isn't a good choice.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Re: H4895 V IRM4895

Post by futuretrades »

Because of the elongated grains of powder in the IMR powders, is the main reason for me. Try this just to see what I am talking about. Meter out say 26.5 grains of each powder, and using your funnel, drop the powder into your 204 case, Immediately you will see the problem getting the IMR powder to go thru a 20 cal funnel, and into a 204 case.
Personally, I don't want to hassel with trying to get the IMR powder into a case, when I am loading maybe 100 or 200 rounds in a session of loading for my 204, but that's just me. For me anyway, I like the IMR powders in the bigger calibers, and I believe The IMR powders are better suited for the larger caliber rounds.

What you need to do is pick a few loads that you may want to use, with bullet combinations, and work up these loads to suit yourself. If you find the IMR powder is what you like, then go ahead and use it. Just be safe, and enjoy the experience.
Just my 2 cents!
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
brooksb

Post by brooksb »

Ok thanks, I'll see if a buddy has some H4895 and compare with my IMR4895, I don't have an issue getting IMR 4895 into my 22-250 case, but BL-C(2) sure does meter consistantly.
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

The H4895 is temperature insensitive so it is same at any temperature.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

Temperature insensitivity is NOT a universal property. It is designed for around a set of circumstances. Outside those conditions, and it's a crap shoot at best.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

According to Hodgdon, "Extreme powders perform just as well at 125 degrees as they do at 0 degrees." I do not shoot outside those conditions. He was asking what some of the differences were and this is one of them.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
brooksb

Post by brooksb »

thanks guys, I got to look at H4895 and the grains are definitely smaller than the IMR so at least for now I'll start loading using BL-C(2). I use OCW method for load development, but with all the load data on the site I've modified it so the pet loads are included.
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

Sidewinderwa wrote:According to Hodgdon, "Extreme powders perform just as well at 125 degrees as they do at 0 degrees." I do not shoot outside those conditions. He was asking what some of the differences were and this is one of them.
You told him that powder X was "insenstitive", so he should try it. Temperature insensitivity is NOT a universal property.
Dr. Denton Bramwell has shown this a few times with his work. Varget was designed around Ball ammo in the 308, for that application it works very well. In the 223, it can also produce great groups. But as the science has shown, NOT because of temp stability, it is actually the worst choice for the 223 when talking of temp stability.

The guys in the back of the wagon selling "Elixer" told you it would stop your hair from falling out, and save your marriage also..... Just because someone selling something, says a product will do something, doesn't make it true..... Go to Hodgdon's website,
http://www.hodgdon.com/new_prod.html
and read about CFE223. They tell you, and I quote:
"The technology developed for the U.S. Military that greatly deters copper fouling is now available in CFE™223 for your reloads!"

So You believe that the "Copper cleaner" was developed for the U.S. Military?? Because the magical compounds are tin and bismuth compounds. They were discovered to negate copper fouling and used in smokeless powder, BY THE FRENCH, around 1900. Also what you call Win 748, 760/414/2700 have had the same counpounds for at least the past 30 years, if not more.

Some of us were shooting surplused SMP 842 for a very long time. General Dynamics has been working on SMP-842 for the all copper projectiles in the 5.56 Nato for well longer than a decade. Hodgdon one day snapped-up all the surplus 842.....Lo, and Behold!!!! now there is a magical new powder called CFE223!!! Well according to the Pressure Trace, the surplus I had been burning for a few years, and this new miracle powder are the same thing.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.