A few questions from the uk

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Blacknsilver
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 semi custom

A few questions from the uk

Post by Blacknsilver »

Hi guys.
I think this is my first post.
I have. Custom Remington 700.
McMillan lazzeroni stock
PAC Nor stainless fluted barrel
Jewel trigger
Candy twist bolt.
When I purchest the rifle it came with 100 Home loads.
32gr v max
27.5gr powder. 4895.

Is the Hodgon 4895 powder the same as imr powder?

Should I start a fresh with my own load experiment? It does shoot very well with these I have.
I am new to reloading.
I have been reading and doing the usual research. The Lee 2 set dies came with the rifle deal.
I am looking to buy the rest of the reloading equipment.
Would you buy a Lee reloading kit or purchase individual items?
I have been looking at the lee challenger kit. £125
Would you hand prime or use the press?
Would you suggest a full Length resize after each use or just neck size? I understand that the case would be a tailored fit once fired so am I right in thinking until The size of the case alters then just neck sizing is needed?
Any help Would be great.
Many thanks
Mark
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Re: A few questions from the uk

Post by Silverfox »

Blacknsilver--Reloading data for H4895 and IMR4895 CANNOT be used for interchangeably.
Should I start a fresh with my own load experiment? It does shoot very well with these I have.
If the load works great in your rifle and you feel safe in using someone else's reloads, I don't see any reason to change the formula.
I am new to reloading.
I have been reading and doing the usual research. The Lee 2 set dies came with the rifle deal.
I don't know anything about the Lee reloading kit, but I do know that the Lee collet die does an excellent job on neck sizing casings. If one of the dies in your set is a collet neck sizing die and the other is a seating die you can go with that until you need to do a FL sizing on the casings. If you just have a FL and bullet seating die in the set, I'd suggest buying the Lee collet die and use that until you need to FL resize the casings.
I am looking to buy the rest of the reloading equipment.
Would you buy a Lee reloading kit or purchase individual items?
I have been looking at the lee challenger kit. £125
As I mentioned above, I don't know anything about the Lee Challenger kit--sorry.
Would you hand prime or use the press?
I use a Sinclair hand primer, but the press will work as well. My Sinclair hand primer allows me to set the depth the primer is seated to.
Would you suggest a full Length resize after each use or just neck size? I understand that the case would be a tailored fit once fired so am I right in thinking until The size of the case alters then just neck sizing is needed?
You are correct in assuming the casings, once fired in your rifle, are "custom fit" to your chamber, but they will expand and eventually need more than just a sizing of the neck. I use Redding neck sizing dies that utilize bushings. I have Redding neck sizing dies that only size the neck and I have Redding neck sizing dies that full length resize and size the neck. Some people full length resize their casings after every firing. I only FL resize maybe every third firing or sooner if the casings are hard to chamber or the shoulders need to be set back.

Good luck with your venture into reloading. Keep reading all the information you can and make sure you follow the reloading data published by the manufacturers of the powder you are using.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Blacknsilver
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 semi custom

Re: A few questions from the uk

Post by Blacknsilver »

Thanks for the reply
Will keep reading and researching and slowly picking up bits i need.
Ultrasonic cleaned arrived yesterday. £14 eBay. Bargain.
Cheers