Bullet seating depth

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

Bullet seating depth

Post by randyman »

I bought my first .204 this year with the intention of having something to shoot Oregon ground squirrels at distances greater than my .17HMR. I also wanted to get back into reloading as it's been about 20 years since I last pulled the handle on my Rock Chucker. I've been reading a lot about how bullet seating depth as it relates to where the bullet contacts the rifling plays a significant role in accuracy. I bought the Hornady bullet comparator and OAL guage so I could see where to start with bullet seating depths. I was amazed at how far away the factory loads are from the lands-almost a quarter inch.
My rifle is a Tika T3 Hunter and I've been using Hornady 32 grain V-Max factory ammo which was giving me satisfactory results but not the accuracy I know this rifle is capable of.
When I placed a bullet (Berger 35 grain FB Varmint) in the Hornady modified case and inserted it in the chamber the bullet is completely out of the case when it contacts the lands. The gray insertion rod of the OAL guage protrudes just a tad past the case neck when locked down. I checked some Nosler 32 grain bullets, both the Ballistic Tip and the Varmageddons and got the same results. I can't provide the actual length right now as my micrometer reads in metric. My other on is at work so dimensions will have to wait till tomorrow.
This all leads up to my question-What is the minimum depth I can seat the bullet in the case? Will I have to experiment with minimum seating depths without the bullet falling out? My magazines won't handle much more OAL case length so any reloads with extended seating depths will have to be loaded in the gun as a single shot. With any luck, that's all I should need though! :D
Any input would be greatly appreciated-Thanks, Randy.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Re: Bullet seating depth

Post by Jim White »

I just load mine to MAX OAL (SAMI) and go with that. After all that's how the round was designed.

HTH,
randyman
.204 Ruger Guns: .204 on AR platform, .20 Vartarg built from Rem. 700 SA

Post by randyman »

That's probably what I'll go with. If I seat the bullet .200 into the case I'll be .261 from the ogive to the lands but not much I can do about it. Thanks for your help. Randy.
brooksb
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M12 FV

Post by brooksb »

I was taught and I believe I even read that a good rule of thumb is to have at least a bullet's diameter in the case neck as a minimum. I have found that increments of .020" change in depth can have a big impact on accuracy without changing anything else in a loaded cartridge, at least that was true with my 22-250, and 06.
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Post by TEXAS222 »

Jim W, are these guns with long measurements where the bullet falls out the case known as long throats or freebore? What is the correct terminology? All my Remington's except my 5R .223 Milspec are like this. I think most of the factory rifles made today are like this, correct? Thanks,
Jim D
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

TEJAS JD wrote:Jim W, are these guns with long measurements where the bullet falls out the case known as long throats or freebore? What is the correct terminology? All my Remington's except my 5R .223 Milspec are like this. I think most of the factory rifles made today are like this, correct? Thanks,
Jim D
My 204's that are like that all have factory tubes. Not sure what the correct term is but I'd call it SAAMI spec reamer.

HTH,
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Post by TEXAS222 »

I got off subject but in my guns like this, I start with book measurement (COL) then play with .010 under that to .020 over. If it's a long bullet maybe .030 over. I nearly always find a sub 1/2" load like this. That's just how I do it & not saying it's the way you are supposed to do it. Good luck to you,
Jim D :shrug:
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

For magazine fed rounds I'll pay attention to COAL but if they're single shots with long throats as all of my 204's are I just pick the MAX COAL and set the dues to it and tweak the loads around it.