Rifle advice!

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
Trimble
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage

Rifle advice!

Post by Trimble »

Best affordable 204 rifle: New to this forum and about to swap out my 17 hmr addiction for the 204!
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Rifle advice!

Post by Bill K »

Depends on your affordable range. But the Ruger American and Savage Axis or Howa, are about the lowest priced one's that both shoot very well, for starters. Bill K
dsandfort
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 BTCSS

Post by dsandfort »

I've got one of these that's a heck of a shooter. I'd let it go if interested. I picked up a Cooper and really don't need 2. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12BTCSS

Del
Trimble

Post by Trimble »

Nice rifle! I have one in 17 hmr back in the safe in NZ! I don't think I could come pick it up seems I currently live in Sweden for the northern summer!
robert w.
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger american preditor/cz527

Post by robert w. »

I got a ruger american preditor n its accurate out of the box.its easy to get the trigger down to a 1 pound crisp snap too.
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

If I were looking for a short-barrel entry-level .204, the Ruger Am. Predator would the best bang for buck. If I wanted to try 40 grain bullets, I'd spend a little more for a TC Venture and its 10-twist barrel. I just handled the new budget TC "Compass": gives a new meaning to the term "cheap plastic stock"; the Ruger would be a better choice at about the same $.
But, head and shoulders above the low-priced .204s would be the Savage 12 FV Cabela's special. Blessed with a "real" action and barrel (26" heavy), most are very accurate out of the box according to reviews. And at $420 - and sometimes with a $75 rebate (or a Cabela's coupon) - a stone-cold bargain. (I'm getting one in .22-250).
jpx2rk
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV, R783/20P combo

Post by jpx2rk »

Unless you are a young whipper snapper, the 12FV is not a gun to tote around in the fields, from a bench or semi stationary spot, it's worthy of consideration. The 26" bull barrel is heavy, the gun is barrel heavy, the plastic stock is light, the trigger is good IMO. If you want a field gun to walk around with, the Ruger has lots of positive comment. I have a RAR in 223 and like it alot. Shoots good with handloads, sucks with factory ammo.
Master Piddler ;)
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Post by TEXAS222 »

Like Bill K said, depends on your affordable range. Just beat yourself up one time & go with Cooper or Kimber. I've got a beautiful Kimber Pro Varmint, shot 80 rounds, I'd sell very reasonable but it won't be Savage, Ruger, or CZ priced. Best of luck Trimble,
Jim D
Trimble

Post by Trimble »

I'm leaning towards the Howa mini action! I'm actually living between Sweden and New Zealand so even though I would buy your Kimber it's not logistically​ practical.
dirtcd
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VLS Ruger 204, Montana 204,Volquarsten 204

Post by dirtcd »

love my Howa varmiter, working on CZ varmiter and a Savage model 12.
Irish Lad

Post by Irish Lad »

I bought a savage xp hunter package. Shoots great. Love it.
inKYfromSD
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 varmint .204, Cooper Model 21 20 VarTarg

Post by inKYfromSD »

If money was no object, then Cooper or Sako. Mine is a CZ527 varmint with Vortex glass. Reasonable price, for me, and shoots fantastic. Rick in Oregon pointed me in that direction. It was solid advice. Best of luck with whatever you end up with, this is a FUN caliber to shoot!
Fat Albert
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Fat Albert »

If I don't hit the MegaLotto before Dec and can't get a CZ 527, I will most likely get a TC Compass in 204 from galeryofguns for about $400 Out The Door (order off the internet-send downpayment to them-they send it to FL dealer of your choice-when it comes in you pay balance to shop. I have bought from then before no problems. The Compass is 22" with 1/10" . Best part is that Thompson Center has a $75 mailin rebate if you buy before Dec 31 2017.
inKYfromSD
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 varmint .204, Cooper Model 21 20 VarTarg

Post by inKYfromSD »

I had a TC Icon Precision Hunter. Heavy laminated stock, heavy fluted 1-10" barrel. Shot lights out with everything except 40 gr Noslers. It didn't like to shoot right after a thorough cleaning but after it fouled it was great. Good luck with your purchase and welcome to the club!!!

(and be sure to mail in the rebate. companies count on you not doing that)
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

If you want an all around rifle (bench & walking) a CZ527 Varmint is a pretty good choice and used to be reasonably priced, although I haven't checked lately. I have a CZ527 American that I use exclusively for walking and occasionally on the bench in very windy days. Its light with a short sporter barrel, which is great for carrying but heats up rather quickly when shot from a bench.

I'm sure there are others out there too for double duty as well.

HTH...