How many times neck sizing before f/l?

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
kWm
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 varmint

How many times neck sizing before f/l?

Post by kWm »

I have 3 firings out of new norma brass. My bolt is starting to close a little snug now, do you guys f/l or bump shoulders back at this point? or take them another firing or two until the bolt really starts closing hard? thanks in advance
B23
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Re: How many times neck sizing before f/l?

Post by B23 »

kWm wrote:I have 3 firings out of new norma brass. My bolt is starting to close a little snug now, do you guys f/l or bump shoulders back at this point? or take them another firing or two until the bolt really starts closing hard? thanks in advance
If you are noticing resistance on the bolt that wasn't there before, it's time to bump the shoulder back 2 thou. Some will argue this point but in order to know exactly how much you are sizing the case you need to have the proper tools. If you don't already have some get yourself a set of calipers and a bump gauge. They aren't all that expensive and it's the only real way to know exactly how much you are sizing your cases. This is something you should do with everything you reload for.

Also, keep and eye on how much the necks are growing, too.
BitterClinger
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 LRPV

Post by BitterClinger »

Personally, I gave up neck sizing a long time ago as I have never noticed any substantial increase in case life by neck sizing only. Also, by neck sizing till you feel like the bolt is getting hard to close, you are shooting a load out of a case that is progressively getting larger and simultaneously changing pressures within the case after each loading. When I started FL sizing only I noticed a more consistent velocity spread than than with those that were neck sized only. It may be all in my head, but it has worked for years now.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

What BitterClinger said.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .