Hornady 40 grain V-MAX

Share information about reloading the .204 Ruger.
varget204
.204 Ruger Guns: savage M 12fv 26" krieger barrel,sav 10 criterion 26" barrel

Hornady 40 grain V-MAX

Post by varget204 »

Just got another 1000 bullets,Weighed and sorted by Ogive length,1 box,almost 1/2 the box bullets only weighed 39.6 grains,I have been buying them since 2009, First time i've ever gotten any.Previous was a few[handfull] at 39.8 grains.Almost always 39.95 to 40.05 grains with some 40.1 grains.I loaded some and got .293 to .351 groups ,wind was blowing a little;but they were not Near as good as the bullets that weigh 40 grains.I've shot 35 and 40 grain match Bergers in the past .Got groups under 3/16";but Hornady's always shot a lot better.The Bergers were $24-$26 a hundred, Just could not afford them, as Much as i shoot on my limited budget.The Hornady's I get in Quantity,Less than $16.50 a box.I'm going to contact Hornady,See what they have to Say.IF you shoot the V-Max Keep an Eye out for this.If you don't weigh every bullet and shoot these lighter weight bullets;and your Groups Open Up ,It may be the cause.I've run into Quality issues in the last year w/ V-max bullets,cases, and 6.5MM ELD bullets. Has anyone else run into lighter weight bullets??---varget204
dsandfort
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 BTCSS

Re: Hornady 40 grain V-MAX

Post by dsandfort »

I'm pretty sure the V-Max line of bullets are purpose-built to blow varmints up at "effective" ranges. I'm also pretty sure they were never designed for extreme range as you like to shoot.
If I needed to drive 10" spikes in railroad ties and choose to use a 16 ounce framing hammer, I'd have a rough time. If I bought a case of these hammers and weighed every one, there would likely be a difference. If I called Stanley and asked why the difference, they would probably suggest that I buy a bigger hammer.
I think that if you are dead set on "extreme range" shooting with the 204R, you probably need to make or modify your own bullets, or, cough up the extra $$$ and find some better bullets. Or, buy a bigger hammer.
varget204

Post by varget204 »

I think you missed my point, :? The post was about large weight difference of bullets.If you are trying to Shoot Tightest Groups your Rifle is Capeable of;you should Sort by OGIVE Length,and weight of bullet.Not Everyone sort their bullets.I merely pointed out if you Do NOT and you shoot 40 v-max; and your groups Open Up at ANY RANGE.I would check weight of the bullets.I recently had a box that was about .025 Shorter Ogive length than the Shortest Ogive length I ever checked since 2009.I sent them back to Hornady,they replaced them;Great Customer Service.I will continue to buy and shoot them.AS for driving Railroad Spikes;I Know a little about That, :) I worked for Chicago & NorthWestern Railroad in the 70's and 80's.The ONLY REASON I post LONG RANGE photos is to show What the 204 ruger is Capeable of.Sure Wish I could Cough Up more Money, :D :D I'd be Coughing on Regular Basics- :lol: AS for Bigger Hammer,I just got a 26" LT Varmint 6mm Creedmoor Match Barrel.Also have 6.5/284 Norma.varget204
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Have you seen this article on Accurate Shooter? There are quite a few articles related to reloading for distance shooting. Bullet sorting is just a small part of the bigger picture.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/technica ... case-prep/

World record 1000 yard groups.
baneylad07.jpg
baneylad07.jpg (73.28 KiB) Viewed 2744 times
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
varget204

Post by varget204 »

Had not seen article;but been prepping as described for years,I've got a K&M neck turner w/ 4 flute cutting mandrel, neck turns while removing donut.Need to get power set up for neck turning.If you get dead serious about distance shooting besides Ogive sorting and weighing,A lot of shooters get a Bullet Spinner and sort into groups.It's supriseing how many bullets are not concentric.I was surprised when so many weighed so light,even at 100 yards,it makes big difference.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Along the lines of what Skipper brought up on setting up for shooting long range. Here are some examples of what some of us use at 600, for a 1/2 MOA. The neat Neon Easy Shot 3 inch dots with the 1/2 in center really allow you to pull down at the 600 yrd mark. Several at the local gun club range use them and they are on sale at Amazon right now, if you want to test your skill and hold them in or on that 3 inch mark at 600 or more. Bill K :)
weekdeal18dec24dots.jpg
weekdeal18dec24dots.jpg (79.6 KiB) Viewed 2599 times
varget204

Post by varget204 »

Bill K those look like good targets,i bought 1000 that look almost the same,instead of red x in center,mine have 1/4" red square in center,also got a couple of yellow ones,I don't like them near as much as the red ones.I found a place called Lable Value,that makes 1.5" red w/3/8" black diamond in center real cheap.They also make the 1" in rolls of 250-500 or can make custom size. A lot cheaper than the paks of sheet spots.I think the same place you show used to make a black w/ yellow rings,black center, shoot and see type target.I think they raised price on those to $22-23 a roll. The smaller ones make good handgun cover up target.Amazon has them on sale sometimes w free shpg,My stash is getting low so i'll probably get 3 or 4 packs.Thanks for the info.Caution keep them away from hair :lol: ,or hairy arms :D The glue on them is really sticky. I can verify that :) varget204